Oct 24, 2021
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: MSI B550-A Pro ATX AM4

Ram: 32.0 GB (2x16)

SSD/HDD: Samsung SSD 870 EVO 1TB
Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB

GPU: RTX 3070 ti FE

PSU: EVGA G1+ 1000w 80+ gold

I don't understand why but for some reason for some games I get very low inconsistent fps. Sometimes they're 120 fps, usually they're 70 fps, and then sometimes they drop to 5 fps. My 1070 got more consistent frames than this, what is happening? How can I stop it from happening? Yes my drivers are up to date (and yes I have also checked previous driver updates, still have the same problem). I have not seen my computer go past 70 degrees c and usually sticks to about 60.

Lutfij

Titan
What version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you on? What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Might it be possible to state what titles you're experiencing frame rate issues? Please don't mention an etc in that sentence. What driver version are you currently on for your platform? Have you tried uninstalling your GPU drivers using DDU? Were you on the GTX1070 prior to the RTX 3070Ti on the same platform?

Reactions: Diflexster12

ColinHerum

Prominent
Oct 24, 2021
What version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you on? What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Might it be possible to state what titles you're experiencing frame rate issues? Please don't mention an etc in that sentence. What driver version are you currently on for your platform? Have you tried uninstalling your GPU drivers using DDU? Were you on the GTX1070 prior to the RTX 3070Ti on the same platform?
Windows 10: 10.0.19043 build 19043
Bios: A.84
GPU Driver: 496.49

I have currently tested Doom Eternal, Metro 2033 Redux, Monster Hunter World, and Bayonetta. Of those four Doom Eternal and Monster Hunter World experience massive frame drops even in the main menu screen. Metro 2033 and Bayonetta have no frame issues. Yes, I have tried uninstalling my GPU drivers using DDU, did not fix anything. I was using a 1070 on a prebuilt with different specs, which is what I don't understand about all this since my new build should be vastly superior to the old one.

ColinHerum

Prominent
Oct 24, 2021
Install DDU Here: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
Install Nvidia Driver here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/results/183364/

Boot your computer into safe mode, run the DDU tool and delete your existing Nvidia drivers.
Reboot your computer and install the Nvidia driver.

It does sound like a driver issue and will probably remedy by simply uninstalling the old drivers completely and installing fresh.
I will try again then

ColinHerum

Prominent
Oct 24, 2021
Install DDU Here: https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
Install Nvidia Driver here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/results/183364/

Boot your computer into safe mode, run the DDU tool and delete your existing Nvidia drivers.
Reboot your computer and install the Nvidia driver.

It does sound like a driver issue and will probably remedy by simply uninstalling the old drivers completely and installing fresh.
Tried again, still no good

ColinHerum

Prominent
Oct 24, 2021
Can you run userbenchmark and share the public link to the results
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/47700948

UserBenchmarks: Game 158%, Desk 107%, Work 159%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X - 104.3%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3070-Ti - 151.5%
SSD: Samsung 870 EVO 1TB - 134.5%
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB - 335.3%
USB: SanDisk Cruzer Glide 32GB - 17.3%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200 C16 2x16GB - 96.4%
MBD: MSI B550-A PRO (MS-7C56)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/47700948

UserBenchmarks: Game 158%, Desk 107%, Work 159%
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X - 104.3%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3070-Ti - 151.5%
SSD: Samsung 870 EVO 1TB - 134.5%
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB - 335.3%
USB: SanDisk Cruzer Glide 32GB - 17.3%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200 C16 2x16GB - 96.4%
MBD: MSI B550-A PRO (MS-7C56)
Looks OK so no hints what might be causing a problem

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzens can have vga error issues with 3000 series cards in slot 1, has to do with gpu recognition with pcie4.0 lanes. Using slot 2, that uses the chipset lanes, so bypasses the cpu lane error and allows the bios to recognise and calibrate the gpu.

But that's just on initial install. Should be able to install in slot 1 now that the gpu info is allocated into bios.

Reactions: RodroX

ColinHerum

Prominent
Oct 24, 2021
Ryzens can have vga error issues with 3000 series cards in slot 1, has to do with gpu recognition with pcie4.0 lanes. Using slot 2, that uses the chipset lanes, so bypasses the cpu lane error and allows the bios to recognise and calibrate the gpu.

But that's just on initial install. Should be able to install in slot 1 now that the gpu info is allocated into bios.
It should work in the upper x16slot, if not either motherboard is bad or a setting in the bios interferes, can try setting the upper slot to use 3.0 in the bios.
ok I have it in the first slot now and it works, but I'm still getting the same frame rate issues

Other things to try:
  • Limit the maximum frame rate.
  • Try doing a DDU again, but install a previous version of drivers instead.
  • You really should take a look in GPU-Z to ensure your card is getting x16 bandwidth and not x8 or x4.
  • Using MSI Afterburner/Rivatuner Statstics, monitor a problem game's frame rate with the benchmark tool, then post the results here.
  • Do the above but limit the maximum frame rate and compare the results (and/or post the results here.).
  • Don't rule out the possibility your PSU might be malfunctioning and not delivering proper power to your GPU. Try swapping to a different PSU if you have another on hand.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
According to ubm, you have the resolution set to 1280x720? If that's true, you are most likely bottlenecking the crap out of the cpu and getting nothing from the gpu to support it.

Check that resolution, both in nvidia control panel and on the monitor. Also run HWInfo and watch the cpu usage Per Core. If that resolution is correct, you are most likely pushing a few cores on the cpu to 100% and as scenes change the fps is goin nuts as there's nothing left on the cores to deal with the changes.

ColinHerum

Prominent
Oct 24, 2021
According to ubm, you have the resolution set to 1280x720? If that's true, you are most likely bottlenecking the crap out of the cpu and getting nothing from the gpu to support it.

Check that resolution, both in nvidia control panel and on the monitor. Also run HWInfo and watch the cpu usage Per Core. If that resolution is correct, you are most likely pushing a few cores on the cpu to 100% and as scenes change the fps is goin nuts as there's nothing left on the cores to deal with the changes.
no my resolution is at 1920x1080. Each core seems to be running at 3775 MHz with occasional spikes up to 4850 MHz. I don't know exactly what that means but if its a problem how do I fix that?

What are you using to cool the R7 5800X? How are CPU temps while gaming? Did you tried to run MSI afterburner OSD while gaming to check CPU temps?

Also you did a clean-new innstall of Windows 10 on this PC, right?, Or did you moved/cloned your old harddrive from the old pre-built?