Question Low performance on Rust: No apparent solution

Jun 9, 2021
Hi all,

I've recently upgraded from a GTX 1080 to a RTX 3070 (around 3 months ago).

My favorite game to play is Rust, and I've noticed that my performance is much less than my previous card. I'm stuck at 80-90 fps, no changes in settings help, sometimes even lowering my settings makes my fps go lower. My CPU and GPU utilization are 60% and ~40%, changes the graphics or resolution does not make them go higher.

The game is incredibly (stutter-y?), it freezes/stutters like 5 times a minute, the whole game lags pretty much. This happens on no other games, only Rust. With the recent update, I've seen it happen a lot more. It's really frustrating knowing I overpaid for a GPU, only to just get less performance.

Specifications:

i7-8700k
140mm AIO CPU cooler
AsRock Z370 Pro4
Crucial Ballistic DDR4-3200 16gb 2x8gb
Asus Rtx 3070 ROG STRIX White 8gb
EVGA 850 G3
Game is on a 240gb SSD

I am using the Geforce Experience Performance panel to get the utilization stated above.

Things I have done:
Deleted and Reinstalled Drivers
Close all unnecessary programs behind
Check every single connectivity inside the computer
Disabled Windows Game Boost, put computer on High Performance Mode

Like I said, lower settings sometimes even lower my fps, and higher and higher settings do not effect it at all.

Thanks in advance.

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Hi all,

I've recently upgraded from a GTX 1080 to a RTX 3070 (around 3 months ago).

My favorite game to play is Rust, and I've noticed that my performance is much less than my previous card. I'm stuck at 80-90 fps, no changes in settings help, sometimes even lowering my settings makes my fps go lower. My CPU and GPU utilization are 60% and ~40%, changes the graphics or resolution does not make them go higher.

The game is incredibly (stutter-y?), it freezes/stutters like 5 times a minute, the whole game lags pretty much. This happens on no other games, only Rust. With the recent update, I've seen it happen a lot more. It's really frustrating knowing I overpaid for a GPU, only to just get less performance.

Specifications:

i7-8700k
140mm AIO CPU cooler
AsRock Z370 Pro4
Crucial Ballistic DDR4-3200 16gb 2x8gb
Asus Rtx 3070 ROG STRIX White 8gb
EVGA 850 G3
Game is on a 240gb SSD

I am using the Geforce Experience Performance panel to get the utilization stated above.

Things I have done:
Deleted and Reinstalled Drivers
Close all unnecessary programs behind
Check every single connectivity inside the computer
Disabled Windows Game Boost, put computer on High Performance Mode

Like I said, lower settings sometimes even lower my fps, and higher and higher settings do not effect it at all.

Thanks in advance.
The higher the settings, the better the performance. The lower, the worse. Sounds to me like a bottleneck.
Why?

Because if you're putting more load onto the GPU and it works better, then it's giving the CPU a break to catch up even faster than previously.

Try and see if putting more load on the GPU will increase the FPS rather than lower it.

Jun 9, 2021
The higher the settings, the better the performance. The lower, the worse. Sounds to me like a bottleneck.
Why?

Because if you're putting more load onto the GPU and it works better, then it's giving the CPU a break to catch up even faster than previously.

Try and see if putting more load on the GPU will increase the FPS rather than lower it.

Thing is, I max out the settings, event the most pointless settings, and I get no difference. It's really strange; happens in no other games, so it makes me think that it is the engine for the game to blame.

Jun 9, 2021
Oh yeah, that does happens with some titles. Poor optimization in the game engine.

You did this through Geforce Experience, or DDU?
I don't believe it matters which one you do, I'm just curious.

What's the exact model of this?
Geforce Expierence, and its a SU635

Oxicoi

Honorable
Feb 7, 2017
Thing is, I max out the settings, event the most pointless settings, and I get no difference. It's really strange; happens in no other games, so it makes me think that it is the engine for the game to blame.
It could-quite-maybe-possibly-frankly be that the update has a bug in it or just isn't optimized, since you mentioned that it's happening with others in a recent update.

The "no difference" part leans it even more towards a bottleneck as even small settings can make a big difference.

I doubt the SSD is a problem, considering the game seems to be less than 50GB of size (unless you have other games installed on there and it's near max capacity?)

Jun 9, 2021
It could-quite-maybe-possibly-frankly be that the update has a bug in it or just isn't optimized, since you mentioned that it's happening with others in a recent update.

The "no difference" part leans it even more towards a bottleneck as even small settings can make a big difference.

I doubt the SSD is a problem, considering the game seems to be less than 50GB of size (unless you have other games installed on there and it's near max capacity?)
I have 29 gb left of storage