Question Low ping on tests, high latency in game.

atahann17

Commendable
Aug 4, 2020
Hello everyone. I want explain my problem. I have delay issues on online games like CS GO and FIFA 20. When I test my ping to the CS GO or Fifa servers with PingPlotter, it shows my ping is around 58-60 ms. However, my in game ping values are not consistent with the numbers on the test. It is around 85-100 ms generally. I searched this on the internet but did not find satisfying reasons. So why this values are inconsistent?
I use coax cable internet with Docsis 3.0 modem. My connection is FTTC probably.

Run the ping in the background while the game runs.

Ping can be affected by load on the link.....BUT if you are not at 100% load either up or down it will not be delayed.

The problem with what games call ping is they many times are not actually using ping. They are measuring the latency within the applicaiton itself. This is actually a better indication of performance but it also includes a lot of the overhead of the client and the server. You hear people claim they fix "ping" problems by changing video settings. That is crazy but what is really happening is the game is busy in the video processing but blames the delay on the network.

HomeSkillenSlice

Honorable
Mar 23, 2014
There are really only 3 possible problems

Problem mentioned above of the load (maybe)

Hardware issues

Or it is also most likely issues related to the server u are trying to connect to. Maybe the server is slow, maybe u are simply too far from the server and most often times end up connecting to one that is not within your geography

I had this same issue too playing COD4 many years ago. Would connect to European servers and the delay would be notable but not the worst

I am assuming u are connecting to very specific individual servers and are not just letting a matchmaker match u with groups of people closest to u, I wouldn't know as I haven't played CSGO