Question Low Quality TV streaming

lee102

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
I run YTTV on a second monitor. When I perform routine pc activities- open a spreadsheet, load a webpage, it degrades the YTTV signal- stuttering picture and audio, low picture quality.
As well, even with a strong D/L speed, the picture quality is not always good.
Dell XPS 8940 desktop. MS 11. i7-11700 @ 2.5gHz. 32g ram. RX 3060Ti gpu.
Thoughts?
Thanks
* If this is the wrong location for this post, please tell me.

Simpler solution. Dedicate the pc to being a pc. Amazon is having a sale on a 4K fire TV sick for 22 or 23 bucks. Pick up one of those and use that and be happy imo.
:tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: How is spending 22-23$ more simple than changing a setting in the browser.

If the OP can list their pc specs, that would help as it could be that their system is plenty capable of playing a vid and/or gaming at the same time. So, you're a right it could be from the CPU load.

It's also pretty well known that video stuttering in both Chrome and Edge can be fixed by toggling on/off hardware acceleration.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
:tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: How is spending 22-23$ more simple than changing a setting in the browser.

If the OP can list their pc specs, that would help as it could be that their system is plenty capable of playing a vid and/or gaming at the same time. So, you're a right it could be from the CPU load.

It's also pretty well known that video stuttering in both Chrome and Edge can be fixed by toggling on/off hardware acceleration.

It's simpler, it's just not cheaper.

Modern PC's by their very nature are designed to multitask. If we take for example a 13900k which has 24 cores and 32 threads. How much strain would you think watching a video with that CPU would be while gaming? It would be hardly any usage and no strain. Current gaming doesn't necessitate all those cores. Most games will use maybe 4-8 cores. Some games more and some less. Maybe then on a lower end CPU, like my own 5600x. Only 6 cores and 12 threads might suffer more. But I can tell you that I have a similar set up (dual monitor) on which I game and have vids and or other stuff in the backround. My CPU usage doesn't go beyond about 55-60%, playing BF2042 (as an example). It doesn't skip a beat.

Regardless of system components, the simpler solution is to toggle the option on/off and not incur any other cost, time or money wise, IMO. Maybe our logic differs here and that's cool too. Without more info from the OP, both solutions could be moot.

Anyway, off topic a little now, so hopefully the OP can get this sorted in whatever way that turns out to be, and for the better. :)

Reactions: stonecarver

lee102

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Modern PC's by their very nature are designed to multitask. If we take for example a 13900k which has 24 cores and 32 threads. How much strain would you think watching a video with that CPU would be while gaming? It would be hardly any usage and no strain. Current gaming doesn't necessitate all those cores. Most games will use maybe 4-8 cores. Some games more and some less. Maybe then on a lower end CPU, like my own 5600x. Only 6 cores and 12 threads might suffer more. But I can tell you that I have a similar set up (dual monitor) on which I game and have vids and or other stuff in the backround. My CPU usage doesn't go beyond about 55-60%, playing BF2042 (as an example). It doesn't skip a beat.

Regardless of system components, the simpler solution is to toggle the option on/off and not incur any other cost, time or money wise, IMO. Maybe our logic differs here and that's cool too. Without more info from the OP, both solutions could be moot.

Anyway, off topic a little now, so hopefully the OP can get this sorted in whatever way that turns out to be, and for the better. :)
Dell XPS 8940 desktop. MS 11. i7-11700 @ 2.5gHz. 32g ram. RX 3060Ti gpu.
Monitor: Dell S2721DGF
GPU: GeForce RTX 3060Ti
Firefox browser.
I don't see an acceleration option available in Display Settings.
I had a separate TV for a while but need two monitors for my work, so having YTTV in a tab is my best option.
But I will keep in mind a separate streamer as an option, though more hardware and a separate remote to control it isn't simpler for me.
Thx

Latest posts