[SOLVED] Lower gpu usage on hard to run games

Nov 2, 2020
As the title says, I’m getting around 60% gpu usage, but around 40 FPS, I’ve tried literally everything you could think of, I even tried locking my clock speeds to their max, that did nothing, it doesn’t see to be a cpu, ram, or psu issue. Here are my specs:
Gpu: Rx 5700 xt
Cpu: R 5 2600
Ram: 2x8gb 3000 mhz
Psu: 550 watt 80+ bronze
Mob: ASUS A-320Mk

Solution
I see multiple issues here:
  1. Your RAM is 3000 MHz; Ryzen CPUs can have their performance severely constricted by slow RAM. 3600 MHz RAM is widely accepted to be the best for a Ryzen CPU.
  2. Your PSU: AMDs own website stipulates a 600 watt PSU minimum for the 5700 XT, with a 700 watt unit being the recommended spec. So long as your are running with a PSU incapable of meeting the full combined power needs of your system, it will be difficult to discount that as potentially being the source of the problem.
  3. If the above are fixed and you still are having issues, I'd imagine the 2600 is the problem; it has low IPC compared to newer designs and its boost clock is a measly 3.9 GHz.
What resolution are you trying to play...
  1. Your RAM is 3000 MHz; Ryzen CPUs can have their performance severely constricted by slow RAM. 3600 MHz RAM is widely accepted to be the best for a Ryzen CPU.
  2. Your PSU: AMDs own website stipulates a 600 watt PSU minimum for the 5700 XT, with a 700 watt unit being the recommended spec. So long as your are running with a PSU incapable of meeting the full combined power needs of your system, it will be difficult to discount that as potentially being the source of the problem.
  3. If the above are fixed and you still are having issues, I'd imagine the 2600 is the problem; it has low IPC compared to newer designs and its boost clock is a measly 3.9 GHz.
What resolution are you trying to play at? What frame rates? What games?

Solution
Nov 2, 2020
I mostly figured out it’s just from the games not being demanding enough for my gpu, Inplay gta with a nve graphics mod, I play on the medium presets but that only gets my gpu to around 60% at max everything, but when I go to ultra preset my gpu maxes out at around 98%, but I still want to know if there is anyway to max gpu performance even when it’s not needed on a game.

Everything I posted is still applicable to your new question.

If you want to maximize GPU performance, the parts of your PC that are responsible for feeding your GPU the information it needs need to be capable of doing so without holding it back; the fact that both your GPU utilization and your frame rate are low indicates that your supporting components aren't keeping up with your GPU. This includes your PSU, CPU, and your RAM. I already listed potential issues and possible solutions.

I can't answer your question any better than that until you answer my questions: What resolution are you trying to play at? What frame rates? What games?

Nov 2, 2020
Thank you, you made me slightly figure out that it’s mostly my cpu, as much as I agree getting a better psu and faster ram would be better , it is not needed, the max watts a rx 5700 xt pulls,(that I’ve seen) is around 240 watts, and I know my ram is fast enough to handle it since I upgraded from only one stick of slow 2400 mhz ram to 2x8gb 3000 mhz Ram, and I saw only a small increase in performance. Just watching benchmarks of a 2600 vs a 3600 using a rx 5700 xt is insane, in gta (the game I usually play) the 2600 caps at around 77% gpu usage while the 3600 caps around 94%. Since I was planning on upgrading my cpu anyway and have a $400 budget, do you have any recommendations for a cpu that works the best with a rx 5700 xt

I'd say you should upgrade to a Ryzen 3700; it's within your budget, it has more cores and threads than your 2600, its compatible with your current motherboard, and it should produce good results both in GTA V and other games you might play down the road. A fancy new Ryzen 5000 series CPU would be even better, but your motherboard is not compatible, nor is it likely to be compatible in the future.