Question Lower performance than expected with current hardware in all games ?

SgtWireless

Honorable
May 3, 2019
Ive been noticing that the perofmance accross all games is lower than it should be wiht my current specs, moreso when compared to a friends pc who has basically the same system but lower end GPU.

GPU: MSI 3080ti Suprim
CPU: Intel I7 9700k
RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengence 3000mhz (its 8 years old however)
PSU: 1000W plat cert corsair
MOBO: ASUS TUF Z930- PLUS Gaming

My friend with a normal 3080 gets around 100fps in a game like BF2042 on ultra while i only get around 70 with lots of drops ?
I just want ot know if there's anything i can do to diagnose any issues ?
I'd put money on this old ram being the issue, but nothing crashes at the moment, its just some odd frame drops.

SgtWireless

Honorable
May 3, 2019
i recently cleared room in the SSD specifically because of this, didnt seem to help, as for the usage and temps they all fell within normal ranges, id say the CPU was actually colder than usual, same with the GPU, it doesnt seem to be using them properly in 2042s case.

Also according to a thread i read earlier, im on 1440p which apparently could be having a serious performance impact for games not optimised for it compared to 1080p

SgtWireless

Honorable
May 3, 2019
im on a 1440p monitor and my friend is on a 1080p . i am 100% certain something is up wtih my PC based on how different the performance with all games is between the systems is.

SgtWireless

Honorable
May 3, 2019
Alright fair point, lets forget about comparing my pc to another, and focus on how my system is having trouble pulling 60fps in 2042, also 7 days to die, but that one appears to be a game issue. I havnt got temp issues, my ram is 8 years old from a very old long dead prebuilt. Wondering if i should replace it with more ram. Did i mention i have two monitors? the one i game on is 1440p the one i dont game on is 1080p.

I'd start with making sure your system drivers (chipset) and GPU drivers are up to date. Use DDU to uninstall the GPU drivers and re-install fresh.

What power plan are you running? If not on high performance, try that and see if it helps.

What bios are you currently running? Is it the most recent? Some RTX have issues with some mobo's which can only be revolved by a bios update. That might be worth doing, if other trouble shooting doesn't fix it.

Reactions: KyaraM

SgtWireless

Honorable
May 3, 2019
my GPU drivers are up to date, i have no idea how to update my own BIOS ill be honest, motherboard stuff always scared me because i might break the entire pc. Also i dont know how to check what bios i have running.

my GPU drivers are up to date, i have no idea how to update my own BIOS ill be honest, motherboard stuff always scared me because i might break the entire pc. Also i dont know how to check what bios i have running.
Okay, what about chipset drivers etc? Power Plan?

Given you don't know how to update bios, you can leave it for now. It's not too difficult at all, but we can try it if all other options don't work.

Have you tested your ram? You can do this outside of windows with memtest86+ or in windows with the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool. I'm not sure it's your ram, as typical ram issues don't manifest as reduced performance. Normally it might be a crash, or BSOD.

Can you run HWinfo (with sensors only) along side a game you think is underperforming, and post screenshots of temps/usage etc?

SgtWireless

Honorable
May 3, 2019
My power plan is set to performance, my rma was tested with memtest last year when my last GPU was dying, all came up clear. I will do some HW monitor stuff later on, im about to step out the door but i will attempt it when im back. My Bios version was never updated since 2018 apparently. and i cant find a clear way to update it myself without risking the system.

My power plan is set to performance, my rma was tested with memtest last year when my last GPU was dying, all came up clear. I will do some HW monitor stuff later on, im about to step out the door but i will attempt it when im back. My Bios version was never updated since 2018 apparently. and i cant find a clear way to update it myself without risking the system.

Okay, well let us know how you get on.

Although you tested your ram before, that doesn't mean it's working correctly now. So best to rule things out.

SgtWireless

Honorable
May 3, 2019
Alright i have a bunch of screenshots of HW monitor from an extended session of 2042, i had some nasty frame drops here and there and it wasnt particually consistant
HWMonitor_vhfhj8AjPt.png
HWMonitor_w7lbOvFofA.png
HWMonitor_YC0dBvCDB0.png

KyaraM

Admirable
Alright i have a bunch of screenshots of HW monitor from an extended session of 2042, i had some nasty frame drops here and there and it wasnt particually consistant
HWMonitor_vhfhj8AjPt.png
HWMonitor_w7lbOvFofA.png
HWMonitor_YC0dBvCDB0.png
Only thing I immediately notice is that your all-core boost clock seems to be 300MHz lower than what I would expect. Both CPU and GPU run warm, but not infernally hot; they aren't at a point when you would expect throttling. However, I would get MSI Afterburner and check what it says about GPU temperature target. Most GPUs throttle when they reach 82°C; you aren't quite there, but if a slightly lower value is set, that could be a reason for massive drops. Btw, is your CPU really at that high utilization? I see over 90% current and up to 100% in the last screenshot, but I'm not sure how accurate that is, also if those values are gaming only or also before starting the game since lower values are really low there. Would have been better to use HWINFO, not HWMONITOR, since HWINFO gives you averages on top max, min, and current values. You can track average utilization and temperatures, clock rates, etc. much better with it.

Edit: your system memory is also utilized close to the limit, and that can definitely cause very ugly frame drops and stuttering. I would also consider making the GPU fan curve more aggressive in general, those temps are quite high for a GPU that seems to be barely loaded most of the time. And, are you running from SSD or HDD?

Last edited:

SgtWireless

Honorable
May 3, 2019
im running 2042 off of a M2 drive, and t hat GPU always runs hot regardless of games, ive never seen the GPU throttle, the CPU used to before i turned down the overclock, it used to be set to 4.5ghz. And i have MSI afterburner and can provide a shot. Also apparently my CPU hits 100% at all times with 2042 while underusing my GPU. its been like that since the beta. and i cant find a way to be more reasonable.

MSIAfterburner_NtBVoiDsEb.png

battlefield utilises all 8 cores, having cpu utilisation close 100% is okay
with 8core cpu without HT, you cant run anything in background (or on 2nd monitor)
you should also disable HVCI if its enabled (performance hog when gaming and cpu at 100%)), you can check if its enabled with this powershell code, open powershell and type:
Code:
Get-CimInstance –ClassName Win32_DeviceGuard –Namespace root\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceGuard
see what it prints out, disabled is with zero values, if its enabled it will have numbers there, here example of disabled HVCI:
Code:
CodeIntegrityPolicyEnforcementStatus         : 0
InstanceIdentifier                           : 4ff40742-2649-41b8-bdd1-e80fad1cce80
RequiredSecurityProperties                   : {0}
SecurityServicesConfigured                   : {0}
SecurityServicesRunning                      : {0}
UsermodeCodeIntegrityPolicyEnforcementStatus : 0
Version                                      : 1.0
VirtualizationBasedSecurityStatus            : 0
VirtualMachineIsolation                      : False
VirtualMachineIsolationProperties            : {0}

KyaraM

Admirable
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/53889547
i dont know why it says i dont have an SDD on here. i have an M2 drive with the OS on it. but every time ive run a test like this its given me this.
It does recognize your SSD, or else it wouldn't appear in the listing. However, the SSD is too full for it to run the test over it. I think it wants about 1/4th of the drive free for that. If you click on the questionmark, it leads you to a page that gives explanations of why a certain component was not tested or has a bad status. See below's link:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/Faq/What-is-the-UBM-PC-status/94

hvci is off :)
i dont think 32gb ram is needed for gaming (yet), but with your current PC usage (software in background) you might need it as hwinfo shows that your ram was full
Anno 1800 uses pretty much all of the 16GB RAM my old computer has, giving me horrible, very long lags, up to several seconds. One of the reasons I went with 32GB this time around. It also isn't really background processes at fault, since that game uses almost half of the 32GB I got now, too. Apparently, it's also not a rare issue, judging by their forums. The culprit seems to be the DLC content.

Anyways, just wanting to point out that yes, there are indeed games out there that can hog that many resources.