[SOLVED] Lowering Temps for 5800x3d

Stytion

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
Hey everyone, I just purchased and installed some new parts for my rig, one of which is a new Ryzen 7 5800x3d, the issue is that it seems to be running quite hot, ~65-70*c at idle.
This worries me about the lifetime of this CPU, for reference I have a NZXT x73 Kraken AIO using Noctua thermal paste, Everything is seated properly and the AIO is working fine.

I have heard about under-volting a CPU but have never actually done any research on it.

Any tips tricks or straight up tutorials would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Solution
Hey everyone, I just purchased and installed some new parts for my rig, one of which is a new Ryzen 7 5800x3d, the issue is that it seems to be running quite hot, ~65-70*c at idle.
This worries me about the lifetime of this CPU, for reference I have a NZXT x73 Kraken AIO using Noctua thermal paste, Everything is seated properly and the AIO is working fine.

I have heard about under-volting a CPU but have never actually done any research on it.

Thanks
Most effective under-volting with 5000 series Ryzen is by using Curve Optimization which you should be able to find in BIOS under Overclock>PBO settings. Your MB should have auto optimization or you can set...

Thanks
Most effective under-volting with 5000 series Ryzen is by using Curve Optimization which you should be able to find in BIOS under Overclock>PBO settings. Your MB should have auto optimization or you can set undervolt for every core (Per core) or all cores. Higher number denotes more undervolt. That dynamically sets voltage for every frequency.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c45KXBnbbpk

Solution

Stytion

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
Make and model of your case and how the airflow/AIO is oriented in said case? Ambient room air temps? Make and model of your motherboard and it's BIOS version?
Case is some unknown company, Rosewell? I think anyway 3x 120mm noctua fans pulling in, AIO is top mounted pulling air in through radiator and 1x 120mm noctua exhaust fan.
Ambient room temps about 65F or ~18C
Motherboard is TUF GAMING x570-Plus wifi

Stytion

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
Most effective under-volting with 5000 series Ryzen is by using Curve Optimization which you should be able to find in BIOS under Overclock>PBO settings. Your MB should have auto optimization or you can set undervolt for every core (Per core) or all cores. Higher number denotes more undervolt. That dynamically sets voltage for every frequency.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c45KXBnbbpk
Ok do you have any recommendations for how much I should positively offset the curve? Or is it different in every use case?

Lutfij

Titan
^ em, take the front fascia off and see if your temps improve. If it does, then you have the answer to your overheating problem.
a5_120419.jpg

Even with the images on that site, you can see that the (intake)venting on the case is horrible. Enough to call it an oven, for lack of a better term.

Stytion

Reputable
Jun 19, 2019
^ em, take the front fascia off and see if your temps improve. If it does, then you have the answer to your overheating problem.

Even with the images on that site, you can see that the (intake)venting on the case is horrible. Enough to call it an oven, for lack of a better term.
Are the vents on the side towards the front not enough? I have seen some Corsair (I think) cases which do the exact same thing and have performed the same with the front glass on or off.

Are the vents on the side towards the front not enough? I have seen some Corsair (I think) cases which do the exact same thing and have performed the same with the front glass on or off.
What matters is the distance between the fans and the thing in front of them. It looks like the RGB ring in the fans are choking the fan. Well, on top of the solid glass wall.

Reactions: Phaaze88