lsass.exe error keeps rebooting XP

Hi, All of the sudden out of the blue I started geeting the lsass.exe error
"The specified domainn did not exist" XP reboots after "ok" is clicked but
right back to the same error. I have rebooted into safe mode and to last
known good configuration and the same message continues to show up. Anyone
have any idea how I can at least get to my desk top and run a fix (if there
is one) or run a virus scan? I just loaded beta version of MS spyware. I hope
this has nothing to do with it...

Thanks,
dphkr

You got Sasser worm virus !! Follow the instructions in the below site to
fix this issue:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c0012
0853

Follow the steps in the below site to enable the firewall:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/firewall.htm#enableICF

HTH
Venkatesh

"dphkr" <dphkr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, All of the sudden out of the blue I started geeting the lsass.exe
error
> "The specified domainn did not exist" XP reboots after "ok" is clicked but
> right back to the same error. I have rebooted into safe mode and to last
> known good configuration and the same message continues to show up. Anyone
> have any idea how I can at least get to my desk top and run a fix (if
there
> is one) or run a virus scan? I just loaded beta version of MS spyware. I
hope
> this has nothing to do with it...
>
> Thanks,
> dphkr

Venkatesh, The link you gave for the fix goes to an HP part search site. Can
you send the correct link?

Thanks,
dphkr

"Venkatesh [MS India Community Star]" wrote:

> You got Sasser worm virus !! Follow the instructions in the below site to
> fix this issue:
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c0012
> 0853
>
> Follow the steps in the below site to enable the firewall:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/firewall.htm#enableICF
>
> HTH
> Venkatesh
>
> "dphkr" <dphkr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, All of the sudden out of the blue I started geeting the lsass.exe
> error
> > "The specified domainn did not exist" XP reboots after "ok" is clicked but
> > right back to the same error. I have rebooted into safe mode and to last
> > known good configuration and the same message continues to show up. Anyone
> > have any idea how I can at least get to my desk top and run a fix (if
> there
> > is one) or run a virus scan? I just loaded beta version of MS spyware. I
> hope
> > this has nothing to do with it...
> >
> > Thanks,
> > dphkr

Also... I cannot get to my desktop to do anything. Message appears just
before XP goes to desktop and no further. Then reboots.. any ideas????

dphkr wrote:
> Hi, All of the sudden out of the blue I started geeting the lsass.exe
> error "The specified domainn did not exist" XP reboots after "ok" is
> clicked but right back to the same error. I have rebooted into safe
> mode and to last known good configuration and the same message
> continues to show up. Anyone have any idea how I can at least get to
> my desk top and run a fix (if there is one) or run a virus scan?

http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/sasser_printxp.mspx

After following all the steps you should really get your system up to date
(http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com) and make sure it _stays_ that way!
Also, make sure you have a functioning firewall and an updated virus
killer - at all times!

Problem is that I am unable to get to my desktop to open a command prompt.
The boot goes to the "loading personal settings" screen, hangs with the
lsass.exe error "The specified domain did not exist" x out or clicking ok
only reboots XP right back to the same situation. I also tried the recovery
console, but that just returns to the C:\Windows prompt and won't go into
recovery mode.

Another point here. How I got this is a mystery. I have Norton Internet
Security with a firewall and virus protection. I also run Spybot on a regulas
basis. And as soon as a few days ago, I loaded Microsoft's beta version of
spyware. I thought the would be plenty of protection but I guess not...

dphkr wrote:
> Problem is that I am unable to get to my desktop to open a command
> prompt.

Can you boot in safe mode?

> Another point here. How I got this is a mystery. I have Norton
> Internet Security with a firewall and virus protection.

That is indeed weird. Sasser (or variants) should not be able to bypass a
properly configured firewall. Once you get your system back up and running
you should take a look at your firewall settings. You should also try to
probe your system from outside, to see what ports are open to the world.

Another point is having your system updated to remove known security holes.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=3549EA9E-DA3F-43B9-A4F1-AF243B6168F3&displaylang=en
was published nine months ago.

Booting in safe mode hangs at the same spot "loading personal settings" with
the same lsass.exe "the specified domain did not exist" Though I have found
that I can get to C:\Windows when try to use the recovery console. I'm not
sure if I can run anything from here...

"André Gulliksen" wrote:

> dphkr wrote:
> > Problem is that I am unable to get to my desktop to open a command
> > prompt.
>
> Can you boot in safe mode?
>
> > Another point here. How I got this is a mystery. I have Norton
> > Internet Security with a firewall and virus protection.
>
> That is indeed weird. Sasser (or variants) should not be able to bypass a
> properly configured firewall. Once you get your system back up and running
> you should take a look at your firewall settings. You should also try to
> probe your system from outside, to see what ports are open to the world.
>
> Another point is having your system updated to remove known security holes.
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=3549EA9E-DA3F-43B9-A4F1-AF243B6168F3&displaylang=en
> was published nine months ago.

Weel ... our other friends do not read so well. if you cannot boot up and log
on the sasser advice from MS cannot be followed. my opinion is that it is
wrong because I had the same problem. I had to reload windows... repair did
not work complete reload did. I chose the option to reload in the same
partition and same directory. all your files remain intact. good luck
mark

André Gulliksen Wrote:
> dphkr wrote:-
> Hi, All of the sudden out of the blue I started geeting the lsass.exe
> error "The specified domainn did not exist" XP reboots after "ok" is
> clicked but right back to the same error. I have rebooted into safe
> mode and to last known good configuration and the same message
> continues to show up. Anyone have any idea how I can at least get to
> my desk top and run a fix (if there is one) or run a virus scan?-
>
> http://tinyurl.com/25po3
>
> After following all the steps you should really get your system up to
> date
> (http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com) and make sure it _stays_ that
> way!
> Also, make sure you have a functioning firewall and an updated virus
> killer - at all times!

I've looked into the sites suggested before this thread here, but they
all require me to log into Windows XP to solve the problem.

In my case, the lsass.exe error "The specified domainn did not exist"
appears when the system goes into 'Windows is starting up...'. I have
totally no chance to log into Windows XP.

What can I do please???

Desperate,
Aaron

--