Lutfi's (2nd WC build) - officially first, build log.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lutfij

Titan
Hey there everyone!

first time posting Build log - so be nice if I go off topic alot.

This WC build is for rig 1:
Q9550 E0
Asus Rampage Extreme w/Supreme FX X-Fi
OCZ 4GB 1333Mhz DDR3 Platinum Edition
Corsair H50 modded w/ Fusion block system, dual rad w/ p/p
320GB WD Blue 16MB - OS Drive
2x500GB WD Caviar Green 32MB in Raid 0
500GB WD Blue 32MB
80GB Seagate Barracuda (pata)
Asus DRW-24B1ST DVD+/-RW
XFX Radeon 6870 Black Edition 1GB DDR5
Thermaltake Spedo
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 750W

I know its old but its been good to me :) Took me a good amount of time to amass the knowledge and idea of parts to get. Furthermore, I had the support of Tom's hardware community regarding what to look for and how to look for them.

Rubix_1011
Sushi dragon
Homeboy
Motopsycho

So from "early planning" stages in late 2010 to "final mark up" of stuff to get in late 2011 (plus the arrival of the Aquacomputer rads :love: worldwide) here's what I'll have to get my feet wet.

oV0CGNX.png

was the initial stuff to get until I blew my bank limit and went all out for most stuff.

but ended up getting these:
1x Aquacomputer Airplex Modularity (AMS) 360 copper single circuit + D5
1x AMS res for vertical mount
1x XSPC Raystorm CPU block in black
1x Heatkiller NSB 3.0 NB block
8x DangerDen Perfect seal 1/2" barbs
1x Swiftech Radbox
2x silver kill coils
1x Copper Sulphate
20 ft of white Primochill Primoflex 1/2" ID 3/4" OD tubing
8x Steel hose clamps
3x Scythe AP-15
3x White Bitfenix Spectre 120mm
1x White Bitfenix Spectre 200mm
1x White Bitfenix Spectre140mm
1x Lamptron FC5-V2 fan controller
1x 30g Arctic Cooling MX-2

Purchases made courtesy of
aquatuning us
frozencpu
koolertek and
performance-pcs

Yeah i know, its overwhelmingly long... thas what I meant by going all out, and I also have the option of adding GPU blocks and more rad surface area :)

here is what I have in rig 1;
fD5WNnf.jpg

as of 3 days ago, I received the tubing, rad, radbox, barbs and kill coils.

the delivered stuff on my draughting table
c2JPJyi.jpg

xfpn5Cu.jpg

bHjLkt6.jpg

Note:
I didn't go with the Compresion fittings since most people complained of issues with the compression fitting hitting against the counter sunk level since the threading is sunken. so went with perfect seals.

I've already twisted them over a pencil - but didn't take a pic of it.
xXeixNq.jpg

radbox by swiftech
G6Pabgf.jpg

comes with all the screws necessary for installation/mounting even a PCI bracket to feed upto 1/2" OD tubing - but thas useless to me :D

6lfLHIn.jpg

finally
8lszivo.jpg

the rad
O02GdDq.jpg

Last edited:

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
The only problem with cutting/grinding screws is that you typically damage the starter thread on the screw. One way that I have done this is to thread an exact fit nut on the screw/bolt, cut to size and then as you thread the nut off, it should help reshape the starter thread.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
This process usually works, but only if you make really straight cuts. If you happen to angle them, it can cause a weird thread that doesn't like to correctly start into a hole. Just give yourself enough room to get the nut on there, get it clamped down, cut and then you'll likely want to use a a ratchet/socket and in your case, an allen key on the other to ensure you can torque that sucker off.

A radiator fan shroud with the fans mounted as exhaust pulling air through the radiator gives a full radiator cooling area access, fans that are mounted directly on the radiator pushing the air, each fan blocks 1 1/2" of center airflow at the motor housing.

That dead air space produced by the fan motor body is never overcome, no matter what fan you use, even a push/pull has the same dead air space.

Most high dollar air coolers position the heat pipes outside the center of the fan motor body, to get away from the dead air zone and locate the heat pipes in the direct airflow of the fan.

For a radiator you should want to take 100% advantage of the entire cooling coil area.

Just a suggestion. Ryan

I've kept an old quick crimp connector tool because it is also a screw cutter and works perfect every time.

Also if it is a very little amount to cut, washers work miracles for spacers and look good too.

Lutfij

Titan
I've kept an old quick crimp connector tool because it is also a screw cutter and works perfect every time.

Also if it is a very little amount to cut, washers work miracles for spacers and look good too.

1| could you shoot a model which i can look for at my local hardware store?
this a good one - or can i find one for cheaper:
http://www.amazon.com/not-listed-Metric-Cutter-Crimper/dp/B000YTAAUW

2| the washer idea ain't bad but i'm picky with what i have going on it :) but still a worthy point to keep in mind , should i take that route.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I went the route of a couple extra washers...easier than clipping down 24+ screws.

But, I see your point on doing it right.

I'm a perfectionist. However, I'm also a bit lazy. You can only imagine the inner turmoil I constantly suffer due to both these traits.

Lutfij

Titan
^
However, I'm also a bit lazy
:lol: something i'd want to stay away from mate - though i also tend to not motivate lazy bums :D as they might be discouraged to work ...

i understand the 24+screws if needed would be a hassle, but the candidates/winners over at MDPC have taught me one thing; When your going to do it, do it right - well not overkill, but to the best your abilities can produce. That way its a job well done and you don't procrastinate on a lil touch up you didn't do the first time around.

Lutfij

Titan
update:

I've picked up a crimp/screw cutter when i was on a visit to my folks place last Thursday.

Since there was a hassle with the prev line of products, all orders for my stuff after rad were halted. There was also a couple of shifts with the hardware ordering. They asked i resubmit my list again: so i took the opportunity to review some of them.

Here's what has changed:

Prev:
1x XSPC Raystorm CPU block in black
8x Steel hose clamps
1x White Bitfenix Spectre 200mm
1x White Bitfenix Spectre140mm

Now:
1x XSPC Raystorm Full Copper Edition
8x 3/4" Lamptron Elite Hose clamps black
ditched the Bitfenix 200mm fan
1x Bitfenix 140mm pro fan white
2x 5mm White LED (HDD+Power) to swap out existing LED's on case
moving to get the anodized hex socket screws for rad and mobo

* tested the screw cutter and they cut flawlessly - Thanks again 4Ryan6
** will post once the stuff arrive hopefully in the weeks to come.
*** for the comment about the shroud i found this : http://martinsliquidlab.org/2012/01/15/radiator-shroud-testing-v2/

Its the tiny details like trimming twentyfour custom allen bolts that earn the respect of the 'right' people,
:)
Shaping up nicely here man, great photo skills (one of my downfalls hehe) and thank you for the mention up top, I never knew I'd influenced you that much, :)
Moto

Lutfij

Titan
My first encounter with you was a build for 2 friends that brought out the OCD hulk in me :lol:

your welcome mate - i give due credits to those due upon.

give me a buzz and i'll give you a few pointers with the camera - though i'll need your camera make/model first to shoot some ideas. Wanna know something funny - i use a Canon Rebel XT but i prefer Nikon's cos of color contrast/vibrance. I only chose the Canon cos it saved me a bucket load in getting lens' ... :D my dad had them before hand , nearly 15 year old lenses :ouch:

:lol: now i know i've got your attention...good to know i'll have more people to steer me with feedback :)

Status
Not open for further replies.