Question M.2 SSD and regular SSD are not properly recognized ?

Rotbone

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Had a main drive die. 15 year old SSD. Had a good run with her.
PC already had a 2 TB SSD and M.2 installed.
Bios is seeing both drives.
Disk manager isn’t ( I think )
All files and data was wiped.
So I installed a new win 10. I tried or wanted it on my M.2. The OS was put on the SSD somehow. I know this because if I disconnect the SSD, PC can’t find the boot record. Now I have in my opinion a mess in disk manager. A partition in in RAW. I know what that means. I just don’t know how. I need advice/help in how to fix all of this. OS on M.2, disk manager showing 2 drives, C drive m.2 and D drive ssd . Thank you all.

Had a main drive die. 15 year old SSD. Had a good run with her.
PC already had a 2 TB SSD and M.2 install.
Bios is seeing both drives.
Disk manager isn’t ( I think )
All files and data was wiped.
So I installed a new win 10. I tried or wanted it on my M.2. The OS was put on the SSD somehow. I know this because if I disconnect the SSD, PC can’t find the boot record. Now I have in my opinion a mess in disk manager. A partition in in RAW. I know what that means. I just don’t know how. I need advice/help in how to fix all of this. OS on M.2, disk manager showing 2 drives, C drive m.2 and D drive ssd . Thank you all.
At this point it seems the simplest thing would be to leave the ssd disconnected and reinstall W10 on the m.2. Just ensure that the m.2 has a GPT partition table header. Its easiest if all of the space is unallocated since the W10 installer will create its own partitions.

Reactions: Paperdoc

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I agree. FRST write a small "TEST" text file to the SSD root directory just so you can find it later and KNOW which drive is which.

Shut down and DIS connect the SSD unit and re-install Windows on the M.2 unit. When done, shut down and re-connect the SSD. Boot up and find exactly which drive (C: or D:) has your TEST file. THAT is the SSD with Windows installed on it that you do NOT want. Use a SSD maintenance utility (maybe you have a free one that came from the SSD maker) to Initialize the SSD using the GPT format system. This will delete EVERYTHING from that SSD so you can start to use it for storage.