Question Most of my fans and the RGB just failed for some reason.

darkoftitan

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
Hello, I was hoping that maybe some of you folks might help me figure this out. I will put my parts list below.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor
Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance RGB RT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Western Digital WD_BLACK 4 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive
Kingston Fury Renegade 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
ASRock Phantom Gaming D OC Radeon RX 6800 XT 16 GB Video Card
HYTE Y60 ATX Mid Tower Case
Corsair RM750 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Corsair iCUE SP120 RGB ELITE 47.7 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack

I built this about a year ago, and it was been working fine until the other day. My daughter went to use it, and said it "glitched out and turned off." She tried to turn it on again, and it shut down again. That is when she told me something was wrong.

When I turned it back on, I noticed right away that all the RGB inside the case was off, with the exception of the GPU RGB, and the 6 Corsair fans were not spinning. The only fans that were spinning were the 2 case fans on the bottom of the PC. Those 2 fans are not Corsair fans and are not connected to the Commander Core. I quickly got a CPU overheat warning, so the AIO cooler was apparently not working either. I turned it off at that point.

I did some research, and read that the Corsair Commander Core has been known to go out. Corsair was nice enough to send me another Commander Core, but when I installed all the fans and RGB to it, it did not fix the problem.

When I turn on the PC, it does have power, and the Corsair fans do spin for like 1 second, but then they all stop. The RGB on the fans, the AIO cooler, and even the RAM do not work at all. The only RGB that worked was the GPU, which is not connected to the Commander Core at all, and also is not controlled by the icue software.

I tried a different SATA cable from my PSU box to connect to the Commander Core, but it didn't help. I double checked all connections on pretty much everything in the PC. I unplugged one of the Corsair fans from the Commander Core and plugged it directly into the mobo, without plugging in it's RGB cord, and when I turned the PC on, the fan did start spinning, and didn't stop. All of the other fans connected to the Commander Core spun for 1 second, then stopped.

I've read that the icue software can glitch out sometimes and cause all the fans and RGB to stop, but I can't turn the PC on to try and troubleshoot the software. Would starting it in safe mode make the CPU as hot as it normally would? The Commander Core Corsair sent me is new, but the Core didn't control the RAM at all, and the RAM RGB is not working, so I'm kind of thinking it could possibly be the icue software?

Thanks in advance, maybe someone has had a similar experience and can help me brainstorm.

Ralston18

Titan
Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it?

Or know someone who does?

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load.

However, any voltages out of tolerance make the PSU very suspect.

Especially if there is a history of heavy use for gaming or video editing.

= = ==

Also read the following link. Not with intent that you need to immediately purchase a new PSU.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Read the link to learn more about PSUs and apply the calculators to your build. 750 Watts may be marginal.

Could be software - however, no harm in being able to rule out the PSU.

darkoftitan

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
Do you have a multi-meter and know how to use it?

Or know someone who does?

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load.

However, any voltages out of tolerance make the PSU very suspect.

Especially if there is a history of heavy use for gaming or video editing.

= = ==

Also read the following link. Not with intent that you need to immediately purchase a new PSU.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

Read the link to learn more about PSUs and apply the calculators to your build. 750 Watts may be marginal.

Could be software - however, no harm in being able to rule out the PSU.
Thank you for the response, and the links. Unfortunately, I don't have a multi-meter, or know anyone that has one. I will look into trying to get one, and tutorials on how to use it.