[SOLVED] M.2 Compatibility Check, Please Help.

anthony5508

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Hey. I'm not new to computers but I am new to M.2 ssd's. I have a Z170A Gaming M7 and I was wondering if I'm good to order this M.2
Seagate FireCuda 520 M.2 2280 500GB PCIe Internal SSD - Newegg.com
It is Gen 4 and I have done some research on the topic and can't find a solid answer to my question. I was poking around this forum on here
(1) [SOLVED] - Does MSI Z170 M7 support NVMe SSD? | Tom's Hardware Forum
but all the M.2s that they were looking at were PCI-E 3.0 x4.

In summary, If I only can use PCI-E 3.0 then that is fine with me but I'm sure everyone knows how frustrating it is to order a part and find out that it is not compatible.
ps. If anyone has any suggestions on a better M.2s please shoot the link/name and reason why <3 the firecuda is the best one I found through research. I am not closed minded or set on buying this specific one.

Please and thank you!

Solution
The drive should work since PCIe is backwards compatible, but Ive heard there are lots of compatibility issues with the new PCIe4 standard. Also why spend the significantly more money on a PCIe4 drive when you will be limited to PCIe3?

As far as good drives, Corsair P1 is solid. The Intel 665p is on sale on Newgg for 90 bucks for 1TB which is a steal. Sabrent Rocket Q is a good drive. And theres always teh Samsung 970 however I find Samsung drives to be wildly priced given all the other options.
The drive should work since PCIe is backwards compatible, but Ive heard there are lots of compatibility issues with the new PCIe4 standard. Also why spend the significantly more money on a PCIe4 drive when you will be limited to PCIe3?

As far as good drives, Corsair P1 is solid. The Intel 665p is on sale on Newgg for 90 bucks for 1TB which is a steal. Sabrent Rocket Q is a good drive. And theres always teh Samsung 970 however I find Samsung drives to be wildly priced given all the other options.

Solution

anthony5508

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

Yeah I agree. I was only content with spend the money on it because i was told it was a very good drive worth the money, but you cant argue with 90$ for a TB! I'm going to order it now. Thanks for the help!

anthony5508

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Are you on the latest BIOS version? SATAIII SSD you plug that and it works right away. A M.2 could give you some issues. Having to update the BIOS for compatibility issues.

Anyway with that 90 dollars price on that 1TB just go for it. Forget what I said ;p

I appreciate the warning and concern but I am up to date on the Bios. Plus one thing MSI does right with there mobo's is updates. All you have to do is download the Live Update utility software and it does it for you without the hassle or risk of flashing your mobo with usb.

I appreciate the warning and concern but I am up to date on the Bios. Plus one thing MSI does right with there mobo's is updates. All you have to do is download the Live Update utility software and it does it for you without the hassle or risk of flashing your mobo with usb.

Using a USB key and going in the BIOS for flashing the BIOS is a lot safer than using a software in Windows. Anyway have fun with that M.2 :)