I need help trying my m.2 trying to work,

specs:

B450 steel legend mother board 3.7 version
6700xt graphics car
5600x cpu
48gb ram
1tb sata drive
200 gb ssd sata

I’ve tried two diff ssds in both ports, 970 evo and crucial t500 I thought it was a compatibility so I returned the evo and got the crucial but it’s not showing up in bios idk if I have to update but I’m scared too because there’s a specific version of bios for 5000 and series so idk if I can I’ve been going abt this for a week, help please!

Apr 22, 2024
Both of those m.2 SSD makes/models should work.

What SATA ports do you have your two SATA storage devices attached to?

Note the comments about shared resources in the manual:

https://download.asrock.com/Manual/B450 Steel Legend.pdf

In addition, are you certain you pushed the m.2 SSD fully into the m.2 socket?
Yes I did it fit perfectly and I have a baracuda 1tb one and the other is a 120 gb I can’t find brand, I have 6 ports and I’m connected to a1 and a2

Apr 22, 2024
Both of those m.2 SSD makes/models should work.

What SATA ports do you have your two SATA storage devices attached to?

Note the comments about shared resources in the manual:

https://download.asrock.com/Manual/B450 Steel Legend.pdf

In addition, are you certain you pushed the m.2 SSD fully into the m.2 socket?
Does the screw matter ? I didn’t screw it in I just held it as I was testing it, but does the screw just hold it in place? And the ssd on the manual looks a little different from the one I have, it has 2 separations other than just one if you look closely

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Yes, the screw matters to ensure proper contact of the SSD in the socket.

I saw the picture, there are different types of SSDs. The ones you bought are fine (compatible).

You should not have your hand touching things inside the case while testing...

Apr 22, 2024

I saw the picture, there are different types of SSDs. The ones you bought are fine (compatible).

Okay thanks I’ll try

I have updated my bio and put my setting to gen 3 because that’s all my mother board can do but it still shows no m.2 drive and I’ve never used this port at all so I’m very stuck

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Okay I did it I reverted all the settings it says all my sata ports are not present other then my 2 I already have.
You should only show the two SATA devices you indicated above. Empty ports wouldn't show anything attached to them.

Does the m.2 SSD still not show up in your BIOS? Is that what you are saying?

During any on your previous troubleshooting, did you ever remove the CPU and inspect it for bent/missing pins?

Apr 22, 2024
You should only show the two SATA devices you indicated above. Empty ports wouldn't show anything attached to them.

Does the m.2 SSD still not show up in your BIOS? Is that what you are saying?

During any on your previous troubleshooting, did you ever remove the CPU and inspect it for bent/missing pins?
The cpu works just fine and its shows just the sata ports. And yes only the m.2 Nvme ssd doesn’t show in bios

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The cpu works just fine and its shows just the sata ports. And yes only the m.2 Nvme ssd doesn’t show in bios
The reason I asked about the CPU pins is because the controllers to drive the m.2 sockets are part of the CPU. Missing bent pins could lead to the kinds of issues you are experiencing, while other functions remain unaffected.

Sounds like the CPU inspection question answer is NO.

Apr 22, 2024
The reason I asked about the CPU pins is because the controllers to drive the m.2 sockets are part of the CPU. Missing bent pins could lead to the kinds of issues you are experiencing, while other functions remain unaffected.

Sounds like the CPU inspection question answer is NO.
Good to know I’ll check later when I get home but if that isn’t the case any other fixes you know of?

Yes I did it fit perfectly and I have a baracuda 1tb one and the other is a 120 gb I can’t find brand, I have 6 ports and I’m connected to a1 and a2
Disconnect your sata drives and check M.2 drive detection in BIOS then.
Not sure, what you're calling a1 and a2.

M2_2, SATA3_3 and SATA3_4 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the others will be disabled.

TRENDING THREADS