M.2 NVME SSD not showing in BIOS nor Windows 10 install

Status
Not open for further replies.

dev909

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
Hey all,

Just got some new parts and looking to install Windows 10 to a Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD. I have an Asus Strix B350-f motherboard. The SSD is installed into the only M.2 slot. Whenever I boot to BIOS, I don't see the M.2 drive anywhere. I don't even see any options for it. So I done a BIOS update from network, but I still don't see it.

I have searched around and tried different settings, checking both BIOS and Windows install to see if the drive is available. I have tried setting PCIEX16_3 4x-2x switch to 4x, setting OS type to Windows UEFI mode, and switching from ACHI to RAID. Nothing works.

Any thoughts?

dev909

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
I have tried it and still nothing. I have read somewhere that I should disable all other devices, trun CSM off, and boot into Windows to let it install the NVMe drivers. But whenever I disable CSM, the actual Windows USB will not appear and I can't boot from it.

dev909

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012

Ryzen 5 1600
Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RGB RAM
Samsung 960 Evo M.2 NVMe 250GB SSD

As far as I can tell the M.2 is in correctly. Its snugly in there. The weird part is that I have seen in other threads that in BIOS, there's a setting to change between SATA and PCIE, but I can't find it. Right now I'm getting a new copy of Windows for my USB bootable (the one I got is from when Windows 10 first came out). Maybe the NVMe drivers are not on my current version of Windows?

EDIT:

got the m.2 in correctly?

After second guessing myself, I opened up the case and checked the M.2......it was not fully in.....I'm an idiot.

Reactions: XeoWinter
Nov 6, 2021

Ryzen 5 1600
Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RGB RAM
Samsung 960 Evo M.2 NVMe 250GB SSD

As far as I can tell the M.2 is in correctly. Its snugly in there. The weird part is that I have seen in other threads that in BIOS, there's a setting to change between SATA and PCIE, but I can't find it. Right now I'm getting a new copy of Windows for my USB bootable (the one I got is from when Windows 10 first came out). Maybe the NVMe drivers are not on my current version of Windows?

EDIT:

After second guessing myself, I opened up the case and checked the M.2......it was not fully in.....I'm an idiot.

I have to thank you for posting this. I double checked mine when it wasn't working and surprise you know it wasn't fully in there. You just saved me a lot of heartache.

Status
Not open for further replies.