[SOLVED] M.2 NVMe SSD not showing in BIOS on Gigabyte H97-D3H-CF motherboard ?

Feb 26, 2023
i have 2tb HDD and i want to install the windows on the m.2 but when i install it to the motherboard it doesn't show up in the bios not only that the HDD also doesn't show up

but when i try to set up the windows it appears
the m.2 is
Crucial P3 500GB PCIe M.2 2280 SSD

HV9nH9n.jpg

PC Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5 4430
GPU: GeForce GTX 750 2GB
MotherBoard gigabyte h97-d3h-cf
Ram: 16GB

Solution
h97-d3h-cf is not a standard aftermarket model. It is a bulk OEM board model supplied to prebuilt system vendors, and is very low end to begin with. BIOS support for the regular h97-d3h generally will not work on these boards and you must go through the original whole system OEM in order to find any updated BIOS support for them. Without an updated BIOS release that is newer than the original release there is very little chance of seeing this board willing to boot properly from an M.2 drive. It's possible, but unlikely.

Also, on these boards, when using the M.2 drive it automatically knocks out some of the SATA ports so if you are not seeing your HDD after connecting the M.2 drive try connecting it to one or more of the other SATA...
h97-d3h-cf is not a standard aftermarket model. It is a bulk OEM board model supplied to prebuilt system vendors, and is very low end to begin with. BIOS support for the regular h97-d3h generally will not work on these boards and you must go through the original whole system OEM in order to find any updated BIOS support for them. Without an updated BIOS release that is newer than the original release there is very little chance of seeing this board willing to boot properly from an M.2 drive. It's possible, but unlikely.

Also, on these boards, when using the M.2 drive it automatically knocks out some of the SATA ports so if you are not seeing your HDD after connecting the M.2 drive try connecting it to one or more of the other SATA headers.

(M.2, SATA Express, and SATA3 4/5 connectors can only be used one at a time. The SATA3 4/5 connectors will become unavailable when an M.2 SSD is installed.)

Since the P3 drives are MUCH newer than any of the BIOS versions likely available for that board, you will still likely be very hit or miss regarding whether the storage controller on that drive will be supported by ANY BIOS version that is available for that motherboard, IF there is even a newer version out there, which quite often there is not on these OEM derivative boards of normal aftermarket models.

If you know the actual model of the system that this board came in originally, that would certainly be helpful.

Feb 26, 2023

Also, on these boards, when using the M.2 drive it automatically knocks out some of the SATA ports so if you are not seeing your HDD after connecting the M.2 drive try connecting it to one or more of the other SATA headers.

(M.2, SATA Express, and SATA3 4/5 connectors can only be used one at a time. The SATA3 4/5 connectors will become unavailable when an M.2 SSD is installed.)

Since the P3 drives are MUCH newer than any of the BIOS versions likely available for that board, you will still likely be very hit or miss regarding whether the storage controller on that drive will be supported by ANY BIOS version that is available for that motherboard, IF there is even a newer version out there, which quite often there is not on these OEM derivative boards of normal aftermarket models.

If you know the actual model of the system that this board came in originally, that would certainly be helpful.
I updated the bios and it worked but when i startup the pc i got the windows setup without a bootable usb idk how maybe because the HDD was installed but i set up the winowd on the m.2 and it works fine with read speed and write 700 i guess the speed is low because the old specs of my pc

Solution
Where did you get the 700mb results from? What did you use to test that? It's possible that some of the result is due to it being an older design but that board supports PCIe 3.0 and that is a PCIe 3.0 drive, so from a purely benchmark point of view you should be able to hit close to theoretical speeds. If you are looking at how fast things are actually going between that drive and your HDD though, then of course you are going to be seriously limited by the speed of the hard drive. You will only ever see any kind of speeds that are close to the advertised speed of that drive IF you are purely transferring a single very large file to AND from another high speed M.2 NVME drive. Anything else, to or from a SATA SSD or to and from a HDD is going to be limited to the speed of the slowest drive.

Feb 26, 2023
Where did you get the 700mb results from? What did you use to test that? It's possible that some of the result is due to it being an older design but that board supports PCIe 3.0 and that is a PCIe 3.0 drive, so from a purely benchmark point of view you should be able to hit close to theoretical speeds. If you are looking at how fast things are actually going between that drive and your HDD though, then of course you are going to be seriously limited by the speed of the hard drive. You will only ever see any kind of speeds that are close to the advertised speed of that drive IF you are purely transferring a single very large file to AND from another high speed M.2 NVME drive. Anything else, to or from a SATA SSD or to and from a HDD is going to be limited to the speed of the slowest drive.

i used CrystalDiskMark
I'm not sure if the motherboard support PCIe.3.0
My old HDD was like 100mb but now the pc is way faster than before
HV55D12.png

Yeah, much faster. But, the board DOES support PCIe 3.0 speeds and that drive is an older model so it should be fairly similar. But you never get advertised speeds except in synthetics anyhow and a lot of things can affect that so I would not be concerned. If it is working now and you are getting speeds faster, by far, than SATA limitations, I'd be glad of it and call it a day.