Question M.2 on chipset lane vs 2.5 SSD What is faster?

Oct 2, 2024
I have used up both my M.2 slots closest to the CPU on my motherboard. I want to add more storage for games. I know that M.2 drives are faster than 2.5 SSDs, but will it still be faster if it is on the "chipset" slot of the motherboard?

USAFRet

Titan
I have used up both my M.2 slots closest to the CPU on my motherboard. I want to add more storage for games. I know that M.2 drives are faster than 2.5 SSDs, but will it still be faster if it is on the "chipset" slot of the motherboard?
Since we do not know all the associated parts, it is impossible to state for certainty.

But given rational parts...yes, it will still be faster.

Oct 2, 2024
Since we do not know all the associated parts, it is impossible to state for certainty.

But given rational parts...yes, it will still be faster.
Ya, I guess I should have included the type of drives But you can see all my stuff in my signature. I suppose I would be comparing a Samsung 990 Pro M.2 SSD to a Samsung 870 Evo 2.5 SSD. Between those, would the M.2 still be faster if placed in the chipset slot?

USAFRet

Titan
Ya, I guess I should have included the type of drives But you can see all my stuff in my signature. I suppose I would be comparing a Samsung 990 Pro M.2 SSD to a Samsung 870 Evo 2.5 SSD. Between those, would the M.2 still be faster if placed in the chipset slot?
Absolutely 'faster'.

Of course, that 'faster' is mostly seen in benchmark numbers. In your day to day ops, it may not be as obvious.

Oct 2, 2024
Th
Absolutely 'faster'.

Of course, that 'faster' is mostly seen in benchmark numbers. In your day to day ops, it may not be as obvious.
Thank you for your reply.

I noticed your Handle (USAFRet) I am assuming you are retired from the Air Force. I too am retired from the Air Force. 1980 - 2000 (Crew Chief Aircraft Maintenance) Go Falcons!