[SOLVED] M.2 Reliable Recommendations.

Fcc

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
Actually got a PNY 240gb SSD, bought it december 2020 and now it has 50% health on crystaldiskinfo, my pc has gotten slower when opening stuff and boot time went from 20 secs to a minute, always left it with at least 25% to 30% free space, as i've read this could prevent short lifespan, but it still got health decreased.

Looking for a reliable, durable long-term 500GB M.2, mainly for OS and programs, probably 1 or 2 games, any recommendations?

thanks.

Solution
Actually got a PNY 240gb SSD, bought it december 2020 and now it has 50% health on crystaldiskinfo, my pc has gotten slower when opening stuff and boot time went from 20 secs to a minute, always left it with at least 25% to 30% free space, as i've read this could prevent short lifespan, but it still got health decreased.

Looking for a reliable, durable long-term 500GB M.2, mainly for OS and programs, probably 1 or 2 games, any recommendations?

thanks.

Hello!

SSD longevity and speed are directly influenced by the NAND / V-NAND type.
SSD manufacturers are hiding the real storage speed by adding a DDR memory cache. Immediately as your process exceeds the size of that cache, like when copying a larger file, you’ll see a huge...

logainofhades

Titan

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Assuming NVME is compatible here, a 500gb and a 1tb option, that doesn't break the bank.

PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $143.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-09-27 14:46 EDT-0400
Not sure about that drive.

thanks.
If the 240 is the only disk in the machine that's too small.
For gaming 500GB minimum bigger won't hurt.
I don't think 50% health is the cause of the slow boot.
Post a screenshot of CDI.

logainofhades

Titan

Fcc

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019

Fcc

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
Larger should last longer, maybe stretch for a 1TB drive.

Samsung 980, Intel 660p, Adata SX6000/8200, Crucial MP510.

Plenty of others but these are the popular choices.
They are all around the same price, about the adata ones, i suppose sx8200 should be better, so i guess it'll be between intel 660p, samsung 980, and adata pro sx 8200, which one would you pick? because i really dont know about drives.

Solid reliability are hard to come by.
Puget systems finds that Samsung ssd's virtually never fail:

Longevity and reliability are two different issues.
Longevity is determined by how long it takes to use up free nand blocks.
Larger devices will have more such.
SSD endurance used to be an issue, but no longer.
It takes server level updates to make a dent in lifespan.
Anything you buy today 240gb and larger will be obsolete before it loses update capability.

My thought would be to buy a 2tb ssd for everything if you can. Hard drives are some 40x slower.
Reliability comes from quality controlled components and a good design.
Samsung and Intel design their own controllers, and they make their own nand chips and components.
That way, they can insure that their parts work well together.
Other makers will buy parts from different sources to produce their drives.
In the end, ssd failures are a fraction of 1% in a year. (HDD failures are more like 1%)

When you are building a $2000 pc, it makes little sense to save $40 with a cheap ssd.
(Same for the psu)

Fcc

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
Nothing jumps out there either so just for yuks reseat the sata data cable both ends and test.

If no help replace the data cable and test.

Do you have the windows optimize setup to run on a schedule for the ssd and the hdd?
i dont know that schedule, how to do it?