Question M.2 ssd doesent get recognized as boot drive

Sep 4, 2024
Hello, i recently bought a m.2 ssd for my hp prodesk 600 g1 DM, installed windows on it but it doesent show in the boot devices, nor in the bios

The strage thing is that it shows up in windows but not in the boot menu

i have tried turning on and off the legacy setting in secure boot configuration and changing the uefi only option in storage option roms but nothing changed

Sep 4, 2024
I dont understand. Despite not showing in BIOS is it booting into windows still? Do you have other storage connected?
Sorry i forgot to mention that i have another hdd with windows on it, the ssd shows itself as storage

I can also see it in winPE and i can install into it but it doesent show as a boot device

Gururu

Upstanding
Jan 4, 2024
If its a fresh install you have to boot with only the new drive connected. Dont worry about BIOS, just see if it can boot. If it boots go back to BIOS and see if its there and change priority.

Sep 4, 2024
If its a fresh install you have to boot with only the new drive connected. Dont worry about BIOS, just see if it can boot. If it boots go back to BIOS and see if its there and change priority.
I did, and it doesent detect an operating system

Gururu

Upstanding
Jan 4, 2024
I did, and it doesent detect an operating system
Ok, it could be a mobo driver for NVME SSD. Have you searched for an updated driver? If windows can see it, then it means that the drive is fine and the motherboard is letting the CPU access it, so I wouldnt be concerned about it being incompatible. Also, just because BIOS doesnt see it doesnt mean that the copy is valid. What software did you use?

Sep 4, 2024
Ok, it could be a mobo driver for NVME SSD. Have you searched for an updated driver? If windows can see it, then it means that the drive is fine and the motherboard is letting the CPU access it, so I wouldnt be concerned about it being incompatible. Also, just because BIOS doesnt see it doesnt mean that the copy is valid. What software did you use?
I searched for drivers in the official asus website, managed only to find a sata ssd driver

The ssd gets recognized even in device manager, tried uptaditing drivers even there but with no results

Gururu

Upstanding
Jan 4, 2024
OK I see, I think there is an issue with the way you installed windows. Did you use a bootable USB and go through install process? Then you rebooted with the old drive that also had windows? If so, it could have corrupted the new install.

Sep 4, 2024
OK I see, I think there is an issue with the way you installed windows. Did you use a bootable USB and go through install process? Then you rebooted with the old drive that also had windows? If so, it could have corrupted the new install.
After windows installs it wont boot because it doesent get recognized as a boot device, even tried it with the original hdd disconnected

Hello, i recently bought a m.2 ssd for my hp prodesk 600 g1 DM, installed windows on it but it doesent show in the boot devices, nor in the bios
Sorry i forgot to mention that i have another hdd with windows on it, the ssd shows itself as storage
Reinstall windows only with new drive connected.
Physically disconnect all other drives.

When you leave old OS drive connected and install windows on a new drive,
bootloader on old drive gets reused. New bootloader doesn't get created on new drive.

Bootloader is, what makes a drive bootable.

Sep 4, 2024
It seems my ssd just isnt supported, even tho my motherboard has a nvme slot, probably just for storage

Oh yeah.
That's quite an old system - Q85 chipset compatible with Intel core 4th gen cpus.
It may not support booting from nvme drives.

Anyway - if you installed windows on nvme drive with old sata drive connected,
then bootloader on sata drive would now allow choice for booting into two installations of windows
with a boot menu.

Like this:

maxresdefault.jpg

Sep 4, 2024