[SOLVED] M.2 SSD not detected in BIOS or Disk Management after failed cloning ?

Renavan

Reputable
May 3, 2017
Hey everyone,

I purchased a new 2TB XPG SX8200 Pro with the intention of upgrading the internal storage in my Asus Zephyrus G14, which came with 512GB.

I inserted the new SSD into a new external M.2 enclosure and began to clone the drive using Macrium Reflect. It failed around 8%, with an error of "the semaphore timeout period has expired". I canceled the process with the intention of formatting the drive and starting over, and that's where the problems started.

I got to Disk Management and I saw the drive as not initialized. On attempting to initialize it, I get hit with the same "semaphore" error. I tried to use Partition Wizard but it was unable to see the drive. I also attempted to use GParted and Clonezilla from a bootable drive, but both were unable to see the SSD.

I even inserted it directly into the PC, but besides taking minutes to enter the BIOS, it is not recognized there either.

It is seen as JMicron Generic SCSI Device among my disk drives in Device Manager, but I think it is likely just detecting the M.2 to USB adapter and not the actual drive.
When I open Disk Management, it is not there until I rescan disks, which takes minutes and then it finally pops up as an uninitialized disk. When I try to initialise, it tells me it can't continue due to a "fatal hardware device error".

I'm scared that the drive has failed somehow, especially as my circumstances make it impossible to return (I had someone bring it to me across continents). Could the partitions have been messed up by the failed cloning attempt to an extent that they can't be detected by both BIOS and Disk Management?
I appreciate any and all help I can get. Thank you!