M.2 SSD wont boot windows - automatic repair loop

Jaydloe

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
So I have windows 10 installed on an m.2 ssd c:

In the computer I also have a HDD d: and an SSD g:

This is my first time building a PC.

All was working fine, until I reset the computer and it got stuck into an infinite automatic repair loop.

I did a clean install from USB. Was fine for a bit. Restarted plenty of times no problem. And then does Automatic repair loop again.

After reading up on it I ran the command - chkdsk /r c:

However i could see that the drive it was checking (i have them named) was actually the HDD d:

So then I run - chkdsk /r d:

And it things that d: is the other SSD which should be g:

naturally the next thing i try is chkdsk /r g:
and this returns 'Cannot open volume for direct access'.

Quick re-cap. It thinks d: is c: and g: is d:. and g: i cant check.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Solution
Hey there, Jaydloe.

Do you have Windows installed on any of the other 2 drives? Did you install Win 10 with all other drives disconnected from the motherboard (besides the one you were installing Windows to) during the installation process? If not, it's possible that some of the system files might have been written over to one of the other drives as well as a boot partition. This can lead to similar conflicts. Since this is a new build and since you have 2 other drives beside your "main" M.2 SSD, I assume you don't have data stored on it. If this is the case and you are OK with reformatting that drive, I'd recommend that you disconnect the other SSD and the HDD and make a fresh install of Windows 10 to the M.2 SSD while reformatting it...
Hey there, Jaydloe.

Do you have Windows installed on any of the other 2 drives? Did you install Win 10 with all other drives disconnected from the motherboard (besides the one you were installing Windows to) during the installation process? If not, it's possible that some of the system files might have been written over to one of the other drives as well as a boot partition. This can lead to similar conflicts. Since this is a new build and since you have 2 other drives beside your "main" M.2 SSD, I assume you don't have data stored on it. If this is the case and you are OK with reformatting that drive, I'd recommend that you disconnect the other SSD and the HDD and make a fresh install of Windows 10 to the M.2 SSD while reformatting it in the process.
Please remember to set the SATA mode to AHCI from your BIOS/UEFI (if you haven't done so already), before you make the new installation.

Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

Solution