[SOLVED] M.2 transfer Speed

barranquilla

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2014
Hi Guys,

So I just put together a new PC and notice the speed transfer between the 2 M.2 were really slow. I was coping several games each one with more then 20 GB and sometimes the transfer speed was like 10-20KB/s. So Im wonder is I have 2 fast M.2 why the slow transfer speed. The Windows 11 install is new. So i dont get it.

This is my System:
2 Western Digital WD_BLACK SN750 SE NVMe SSD 1TB, M.2 for games and storage

1 Samsung SSD 980 PRO 250GB, M.2 for Windows

Intel Core i7-12700K

Corsair Vengeance schwarz DIMM Kit 32GB, DDR5-5600, CL36-36-36-76

MSI MEG Z690 Unify

Windows 11 Pro

Solution
Speeds never passed 250MB/s, I was expecting speed arround 1000MB/s, for the moment transfer speeds are the same then my old Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB, SATA . CrystalDiskMark gives me great speed transfer results, but as soon as i want to transfer something speeds are not near the speeds the CrystalDiskMark says I can achive. Im running the latest BIOS version and latest Firmware.
If CrystalDiskMark is showing expected performance, the drive is working as advertised. Nothing to fix.

Again, the content is what matters.

Lutfij

Titan
If the speeds were sometimes at 10-20KB/s what were the speeds beyond that time frame? BIOS version for your motherboard? instead of transferring files, try and use CrystalDiskMark and see what your speeds come up with. Might also want to make sure you're on the latest firmware version for your SSD's.

Reactions: barranquilla

USAFRet

Titan
So I just put together a new PC and notice the speed transfer between the 2 M.2 were really slow. I was coping several games each one with more then 20 GB and sometimes the transfer speed was like 10-20KB/s. So Im wonder is I have 2 fast M.2 why the slow transfer speed. The Windows 11 install is new. So i dont get it.
Transferring thousands of small files WILL be much slower than a single file of the same cumulative size.
And it would be nowhere near the benchmark numbers.

Reactions: barranquilla

barranquilla

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2014
If the speeds were sometimes at 10-20KB/s what were the speeds beyond that time frame? BIOS version for your motherboard? instead of transferring files, try and use CrystalDiskMark and see what your speeds come up with. Might also want to make sure you're on the latest firmware version for your SSD's.
Speeds never passed 250MB/s, I was expecting speed arround 1000MB/s, for the moment transfer speeds are the same then my old Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB, SATA . CrystalDiskMark gives me great speed transfer results, but as soon as i want to transfer something speeds are not near the speeds the CrystalDiskMark says I can achive. Im running the latest BIOS version and latest Firmware.

barranquilla

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2014
Transferring thousands of small files WILL be much slower than a single file of the same cumulative size.
And it would be nowhere near the benchmark numbers.
So i guess was a waste of money getting an M.2/M-Key (PCIe 4.0 x4) hoping for faster transferrs speeds. Next time I will save some money and go for the cheapest one.

USAFRet

Titan
If CrystalDiskMark is showing expected performance, the drive is working as advertised. Nothing to fix.

Again, the content is what matters.

Solution

Maxsupertweaker

Distinguished
May 29, 2014
I just finished my build with two 2TB Kingston M.2 PCie 4 SSD.

Here is the transfer rate of 200 GB of the same file type from C:drive to D:drive.

52891808277_fb3c9e5239_o.jpg