Question M.2 Troubleshooting

Mar 6, 2019
Hello,

I am having trouble formatting my newly purchased Crucial MX500 500GB NAND SATA M.2 SSD and hoping you guys can help.
My build uses a Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard (recently flashed BIOS) and windows 10.
I have gone into the BIOS and turned on the included onboard M.2 slot, which in turn deactivates a few of the PCIe slots.
I currently have a normal 128GB SATA SSD which is where windows is installed.

The LED on the drive itself lights up, but the SSD still does not show up in disk management on windows 10, and as far as I can see there is no way to tell if the MOBO detects it in BIOS.

Any ideas on what to try next?

Here's your problem.You have an M.2 sata drive , to wit, the Crucial MX500 500GB NAND SATA M.2 SSD
but unfortunately, the board only supports PCIe M.2 drives, per the manual:
"1 x M.2 Socket 3, black, with M Key, type 2260/2280 storage devices support (PCIE mode) ".

Yeah. Sata M.2 drive is not supported on M.2 slot on your board.
To use MX500 m.2 , you need M.2 to sata adapter and install it as regular 2.5" sata drive.

SAT32M225.main.jpg

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Read the info here ^ JohnnyLucky post!

There is some confusion about the Asus specifications for M.2 PCIe ssd's for your motherboard:

1 x M.2 Socket 3, black, with M Key, type 2260/2280 storage devices support (PCIE mode)

or

Intel® Z97 Express Chipset with M.2 support (up to 10Gb/s data-transfer)

or

M.2 (PCI-E x2)

No wonder consumers are confused. Both of those specifications are from the Asus web page for your motherboard.

The first one means the motherboard M.2 connector can accommodate an M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 ssd. It is also backward compatible with M.2 PCIe 2.0 x4 ssd's and M.2 SATA 3 ssd's. Performance of the latter two will be restricted.

The second one means the motherboard M.2 connector can accommodate an M.2 PCIe 2.0 x 2 ssd and it is not backward compatible with M.2 SATA3.

The third one alse means the motherboard M.2 connector can accommodate an M.2 PCIe 2.0 x 2 ssd and it is not backward compatible with M.2 SATA3.

We have a problem with the way ssd specifications are identified in advertising and motherboard specifications. The motherboard companies are inconsistent in their use of terms and phrases. There have been published news articles indicating some motherboard M.2 connectors are being incorrectly identified as supporting M.2 PCIe 3.0 x 4 ssd's when they actually only support M.2 PCIe 2.0 x4 or M.2 PCIe 2.0 x2 ssd's. This appears to be the case with your motherboard. Technical reviews indicate the your motherboard's M.2 connector is rated at 10Gb/s which means it is limited to M.2 PCIe 2.0 x 2 ssd's. In addition the M.2 slot is only compatible with PCIe-based M.2 SSD's. It cannot be used with M.2 SATA ssd's.

That makes your choice fairly simple You are looking for an M.2 PCIe 2.0 x 2 ssd. Sometimes it might be listed as M.2 10Gb/s.

You need not go so far to suspect the technical accuracy of the specs provided. With all due respect to ASUS engineers, when I read the following description I see a warning flag on any decision to purchase this item:

Intel® Z97 chipset :
6 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), red, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support

Hugh ?