M.2 Ultra help!

D0WN3D

Prominent
Feb 24, 2017
So, i bought this ASrock z170 k4 Gaming link: http://www.asrock.com/MB/Intel/Fatal1ty%20Z170%20Gaming%20K4/ it has an ultra m.2 pcie gen3 x4 slot, Can i run an M.2 ssd whitout it stealing pcie lanes from my processor i5 7600k. Also i would like to run my gpu on x16 and use an 1tb hdd on sata3

Solution
What do you mean by "stealing pcie lanes from my processor i5 7600k?" It will use pcie lanes to communicate with your processor; that's what they are for. So running an m.2 ssd will take pcie lanes, but's that what they are for.
"If M2_1 is occupied by a SATA-type M.2 device, SATA3_0 and SATA3_1 will be disabled." So you will lose two SATA3 ports. But the card has six, so that will leave you with four available, more than you need.

According to my reading of the spec, you can do all three of those things at the same time just fine.
What do you mean by "stealing pcie lanes from my processor i5 7600k?" It will use pcie lanes to communicate with your processor; that's what they are for. So running an m.2 ssd will take pcie lanes, but's that what they are for.
"If M2_1 is occupied by a SATA-type M.2 device, SATA3_0 and SATA3_1 will be disabled." So you will lose two SATA3 ports. But the card has six, so that will leave you with four available, more than you need.

According to my reading of the spec, you can do all three of those things at the same time just fine.

Solution

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
To add to above, the M.2 drive uses PCIe lanes from your motherboard's PCH of which there are 20. Those lanes are also used for sata ports and other system devices, hence the loss of 2 ports if you use the M.2 slot. The CPU has 16 additional PCIe lanes, but these are reserved for the 2 GPU slots. So you have nothing to worry about.