goofball1549

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Hi I'm having trouble with my new comp. I got a new Mboard (gigabyte ep45 ud3l), new PSU and a intel core 2 duo e8400. I put in my Hard drive ram and graphics from my old comp (which I plan to update, but just wanted to get the thing going).
Here is my problem, I can get to the bios no prob, but when it starts trying to load windows xp, it just resets, sometimes on the xp load screen, and a few times its gotten to the desktop but reset after a few seconds.

overshocked

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2009
Sounds like something is shorting it out to me... check to make sure first that your PSU is sufficent for what u are powering.

Then make sure there is not an extra standoff on the MOBO tray.

Then make sure all fan connectors are installed correctly.

goofball1549

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Yeah the PSU is fine, 500w, and as I said, the graphics ram and hard drive are old, so as far as I know they shouldn't be using much power, my old comp with those parts ran fine on a 300w PSU.

As for the standoffs, I'll check that out, this is my first build so to be honest I'm unsure how that would affect anything, I thought they just kept the mobo off the metal of the case? But seeing as I already have most and/or all the standoffs in place it should be sitting fine, right?

And the fans all seem to work well, there were 2 slots I could put one of them in, one was called CPU FAN 1, the other was Power Fan, both seemed to work, as in they powered on and did their thing.

goofball1549

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Also I was just talking to my mom who works with computers quite a bit, mostly software, but she knows a decent amount of stuff on hardware. She was saying that it could be that the Hard drive that came from my old comp is bad because it turns on and then realizes I've got this whole new set of hardware so it doesn't load properly. Again this is my first time doing this so I wasn't exactly sure what she meant, but does anyone think that would be a possibility?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

That's not a hardware issue, it's a configuration issue in Windows. You're supposed to load a fresh copy of Windows when you make big changes like that to your system.

If you have stuff on the drive you can't replace, you can always try doing a repair installation of Windows.

goofball1549

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Ok so I've tried wiping the drive and re installing xp, but for some reason it keeps freezing at the same point in the installation (I've used this copy of xp a few times, so I know its not the cd or anything like that). It always freezes right when it says installing devices, maybe the whole HDD is screwed?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Now that you're past the software issue, you might have a hardware issue such as memory instability. But before we jump to that, what version of Windows XP are you using?

If you want to try something on your own right away, here's a bootable CD for testing RAM stability:

http://www.memtest.org/download/1.70/memtest86+-1.70.iso.zip

goofball1549

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
I'm using xp home edition (the one that includes service pack 2)

And you just want me to copy that to a cd and boot it on my comp? I thought you needed 3rd party stuff read ISO files? So won't it just not recognize it or something?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
For ISO's you use a burner software that can read the CD image and make an exact copy of that image to the CD. I use Nero Burning Rom, but nearly any burner software can burn ISO images.

goofball1549

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
K i dl'ed nero and burned the memory test to a cd, but it won't recognize it. I change the boot order to cd first in the bios, and then it just goes blank and idles until I shut it off.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Did you burn it as an image? First you have to unzip it, then you have to burn it as an image. You can't just drag it onto the CD and burn it as a file.

goofball1549

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Yeah I unzipped it, the computer I'm typing on didn't have nero or any software to read ISO's so I downloaded nero as you said then burned it to a blank cd and put it in my cd drive.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Did you use the copy image option, or did you burn it as a file?

Go to Nero Burning ROM (probably in the Data subdirectory of the Nero menu), close the New Compilation menu, click the Copy icon, and find the Image tab. Select your Image file, and it will burn the CD image.

If there's a file on the CD called memtest.iso, you did it wrong.

goofball1549

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Yeah I don't have those options on my nero, mines just the free one, guess I have to buy the full one to do it. Oh well, if it is indeed my memory, I'm planning on getting memory and a new hard drive on payday anyway so I'll just wait until then, and if it still doesn't work, I'll replace the mo bo. Thanks alot for the help anyways :D