m key not working no matter what keyboard i plug in

sombramain22

Honorable
Nov 30, 2017
I've have 2 keyboards plugged into my PC and both of the m keys on them aren't working. i have unplugged both of them, switched them around to different usbs. I've even swapped the keyboard switches to no success, never seen this issue before. could it be bad connections? any help. cheers

Plug those keyboards (one at a time) in another PC system. If they do work there then something may be happening with your motherboard or the OS. Try to use the onscreen windows keyboard and check if the m key works. Try to clear the CMOS and check all the available USB settings in the BIOS, enable all USB compatibility settings and try to use only USB 2.0 ports for the keyboards. If nothing works your motherboards is probably damaged and needs replacement. It's rare but it can still happen. Also please post your complete system specs in order to get more accurate advice, especially the motherboard and the keyboards. Good luck.

Yes, that seemed strange because 2 different keyboards can't have exactly the same damage at the same time. Also new USB keyboards/motherboards are more resilient to keyboard hardware damage. Older PS/2 keyboards/motherboards were more prone to this issue and eventually the only solution was to replace the motherboard. Good luck.