Odisra

Prominent
Oct 10, 2020
Hey guys,

I built a new PC and did a clean Windows 10 install. It was going well, until I reached the part about installing drivers. Now, I installed a few from the MOBO manufacture site (an x570 Gigabyte in this case) at once, then did a restart for them to install fully.

At first, it was ok. The audio, chipset and LAN drivers caused no issues.

Then, I went to the SATA RAID/AHCI drivers and Gigabyte specific utility (RGB fusion and App Center). Now, I restarted after those in particular, and then I had the problem. I do not have any SATA drives (SSD or HHD), but I figured to just install the SATA driver because why the heck not? Since I only have a NVMe drive, maybe that driver caused the issue?

PC didn't want to boot anymore, eventually reaching a screen with some message about storage corruption. It booted itself into BIOS eventually (after a few restarts), where I just hit a default option along the lines of "optimize defaults and reboot". Then I did a boot issues autorepair from the Windows options. Now it works again, but I lost a lot of the work I had done on the SSD. Seems like I was restored to a working version of Windows, before those bad drivers...I think..

My question is, what's most likely to have caused it? I checked the SSD (Samsung 980 PRO) with Samsung Magician and User Benchmark and there doesn't seem to be any corruption on it/bad results.

Thank you for the help!

Solution
why would you install all of the driver when it's not needed? I performed alot of clean/fresh windows install, and the only thing i immidiately (without internet so windows update/auto install wont interrupt) install after fresh install is just the chipset driver and the gpu driver, after that i let windows to update the driver that is needed. Download Chipset driver from amd own support website.
why would you install all of the driver when it's not needed? I performed alot of clean/fresh windows install, and the only thing i immidiately (without internet so windows update/auto install wont interrupt) install after fresh install is just the chipset driver and the gpu driver, after that i let windows to update the driver that is needed. Download Chipset driver from amd own support website.

Solution

Odisra

Prominent
Oct 10, 2020

All right, thanks for the input. I checked AMD's website and I actually see storage drivers on their platform too. Should I install one of those?

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

TRENDING THREADS