Question Mac Book Pro, broken screen connector, use second monitor ?

proon

Honorable
Jul 6, 2014
I got a Mac Book Pro (2012) that had a drink of coffee. Now the screen is black, although the laptop makes boot up noises.
I took the back off and cleaned off some corrosion from the motherboard, but the screen connector on the motherboard has lost a pin to the corrosion.

I got a display port to HDMI convertor, to get it going with an external display, but nothing happens.

How do I get an external monitor going ?

Thanks.

proon

Honorable
Jul 6, 2014
If the corrosion is shorting the motherboard, an external display will not work.
I suggest you take the laptop to a reputable repair shop.
There are some that will test the laptop and will let you know about the damage and cost and you decide if it is worth it repairing it.
https://www.rossmanngroup.com/

Hi thanks for the reply. I was assuming the motherboard was OK because it does things it's just that there is no picture. And I'm a terrible tight wad who'd rather fill his own teeth with bacofoil than pay for a dentist heh.

proon

Honorable
Jul 6, 2014
The system could power on even when there are faulty components on the motherboard (capacitors, resistors, etc..)
I have noticed that Macbook motherboards corrode very easily, even when in contact with water.

Yeah I was surprised what coffee can do when I took the back off and had a look round.
I saw a vid of an repair engineer replacing the exact bit that's buggered, but he's a pro with all the nice equipment so I think it's probably above my skill level.
Maybe there's more damage than is apparent. If I can just get an external monitor going I could play with it