Mac Cloner Psystar Files for Bankruptcy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
[citation][nom]cruiseoveride[/nom]Apple hardware is overpriced, and Apple software is bleak[/citation]
I agree with the hardware part but the OS kicks ass , but not if your a gamer. ;p

It's for those who use movie editors and photo shop.

christop

Distinguished
I was wondering how long Pystar would last.. I was hoping they found a loop whole in the Eula... I too thought maybe Micro was funding it.. That would blow my mind if it's true.. I hate that an os is tied to a piece of hardware... I don't see Think differently in that one at all.. Maybe Think money??? Total Bs

Fadamor

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2007
This is Apple's "Achille's Heel". They spent all that money on the "Mac vs. PC" commercials, but I'm surprised MS hasn't replied with a simple commercial along the lines of:
[black screen... announcer v.o.]
"Here are the computer brands that Microsoft's operating systems can be installed on."
[Computer brand logos fill the screen, slowly at first then more rapidly. Logos reduce in size in order for more to fit.]
"Now here are the computer brands that Apple's operating systems can be installed on."
[Apple logo placed center screen a 1/3 screen height.]
"So which operating systems offer you the most flexibility?"
[Apple logo fade to black. Microsoft logo fade in.]
"Microsoft"

OK, I get royalties if they subsequently use that.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
A lot of companies always tied their operating systems to their hardware. Solaris was used to be SPARC only, the HP-UX was tied to HP machines and hey, AIX and IBM i is still tied down to the POWER architecture. These companies tend to tie it down to the architecture, but for some reason Apple had to stick its head out and transitioned to Intel which I still say to this day was a dumb move. The PowerPC architecture is superior to the x86 and one big reason for the move was the perceived failure of IBM reaching 3 GHz. A 2.5 GHz G5 outperformed any x86 counterpart that ran at a higher clockspeed during the same time period.

cracklint

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
[citation][nom]christop[/nom]I was wondering how long Pystar would last.. I was hoping they found a loop whole in the Eula... I too thought maybe Micro was funding it.. That would blow my mind if it's true.. I hate that an os is tied to a piece of hardware... I don't see Think differently in that one at all.. Maybe Think money??? Total Bs[/citation]

I think that Mac OS going to mainstream hardware would be a nightmare for Microsoft. Their laptop hunter series would be invalid. If people could choose between windows and os x for the same price we would have a whole new ball game. Not that I love mac os, but some do. However, they aren't willing to pay the apple tax. Of course third party software and hardware support would have to be added, thus Apple would have all new development challenges that Microsoft would be years ahead in. Of course they could have avoided this if they had actually charged fair prices for hardware instead of using Intel mb, and nvida chipset that any ole joe can pick up and install their os on with 100% compatibilty.

Status
Not open for further replies.