[SOLVED] Mac OS vs Windows OS - Civilised please :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam_145

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
So as someone who is a budding apprentice in programming I'm coming to learn an awful lot about coding and such has led me onto numerous developers who swear by Macs being the superior machine while some (such as myself say otherwise or fail to understand or see why they are such a superior machine).

Now before I go any further my personal preference to Windows is exactly that it's my personal preference it's what I've always used, I've never had any issues with it, & in terms of what you get for your money I always find it a clear winner in my eyes.

This aside what is it if anything that makes mac such a superior os? At least from the words of some of my peers.

I asked around and couldn't really find a great deal, one of my colleagues did mention that it's because it runs of a linux based command line, which I felt to be a rather poor argument as in my eyes that's saying the os is superior simply because linux is more prominent among programmers but offers no benefit over windows other than it's syntactically different.

Again I'm not looking for a this is better & that is crap ect, I'm looking for insightful information into both OS's pro's & cons.

Cheers,

Sam.

Solution

When it comes to performance and quality of the hardware for the price PCs have an advantage.
Just take a look at Dell’s XPS series or Lenovo’s Thinkpads. You could get them for hundreds less than a Macbook with similar specs.
And when it comes to upgrades there is not even a chance for Macbooks with soldered RAM and only one drive bay.
You could setup a Thinkpad with up to 2TB PCIe SSD and 4TB SATA SSD or HDD...
It will depend for which the platform(s) (Android, Java, MacOS, Windows, Web, etc) your are programming and coding.
Also you have to take inconsideration the device that your school or department supports. Some places are Windows OS-oriented, specially when dealing with VPNs, printing etc.
I would recommend to go with the flow.
On a Apple computer you have more choices to test, and you could install most OSes even install Windows. It's not that easy to run OS X on a Windows PC (hack).
If you want to program, code and develope iOS or OS X software you must have a Mac.
Also there is more stability and control over the MacOS. I have lost hours of work when Windows 10 decided to install a update when I left the PC unintended for 5 minutes. Or it went to sleep and does not want to wake up and I need to power off with finger crossed.
Windows DLL could hamper your programming skills and it is very hard to find out why the wrong library is loading.

Sam_145

Commendable
Jun 12, 2016
I appreciate the answers so far & they are totally valid & applicable points something that I hadn't considered, however in terms of performance comparing the OS's could anyone enlighten me on that, I draw onto this point only due to the enormous price of a Mac PC/Laptop vs what you would get for a Windows PC/Laptop.

Part of that price difference is simply the Apple tax.

When it comes to performance and quality of the hardware for the price PCs have an advantage.
Just take a look at Dell’s XPS series or Lenovo’s Thinkpads. You could get them for hundreds less than a Macbook with similar specs.
And when it comes to upgrades there is not even a chance for Macbooks with soldered RAM and only one drive bay.
You could setup a Thinkpad with up to 2TB PCIe SSD and 4TB SATA SSD or HDD combo.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.