Question Mac OS X 10.3 Panther not booting from burned CDs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ragnarok0274

Proper
Sep 12, 2020
I got an iMac G5 A1058. It had some booting problems, so I bought an OS X 10.4 Tiger disc (NON Apple official. It was made when someone on eBay updated their Macs to 10.4 and it asked if they wanted to make a copy of the installation. They did, put it on eBay, and I bought the disc.) The disc looked scratched, but it booted fine the first time. I removed the Leopard install that was on there and began installing Tiger, and went to bed (it was late).

Next day, I wake up and see that it says something about an error during copying files and recommends a restart. I do, and it again boots up fine. However, the check disc function failed at 10%. I clicked proceed with install, and it made it to 87% copying files until it failed. I have not been able to boot it to the install screen since. I can "boot" from it, but it gets stuck at the spinny circle for more than 2 days. Yes, I left it for 2 days. It never made it past that.

My plan was to get a blank DVD-R and clone the disc to an ISO, verify the ISO against another ISO that I have of Tiger, then clone the Tiger disc to my blank DVD. Yes, I have 2 internal optical drives. Then I remembered that Panther came on CDs, and I have a bunch of those!
I got the .toast files of those 3 CDs from here, converted them to ISOs through my Mac Mini 2011, moved those to my Windows machine, and burned them to some discs. I even verified them.

I take Disc 1 and put it in my iMac, turn it on, and hold the C key. The optical drive spins up, stays there for 10 seconds, then spits the disc out. In the background, the iMac is attempting to boot from the network, then the hard drive. I put the disc back in. It stops on the "boot from hard drive?" screen and stays there for 10 minutes. Typically it stays there for about a minute when I have my Tiger disc in.

So I take my Disc 1 of Panther and put it in my Mac Mini to compare it to my .toast and .iso files.
It spits it out after about 10 seconds.
I put it in, and it reads it fine.
The files all check out.
Currently my iMac is attempting to boot from the Tiger disc.
I am thinking of doing the following:
  1. Getting a blank DVD-R and copying the Tiger disc. This is free (thanks Grandpa for giving me optical discs).
  2. Getting a real Tiger disc. This is not free.
  3. Putting my Panther disc in, not holding down C, and while it is trying to boot from the network/hard drive, put it back in after it spits it back out and see if it boots from that. This is free.
  4. Getting a real Panther disc set. This is not free.
  5. Getting a real Leopard disc (10.5) and installing that. This is not free.
Any advice?

No, it's not minimum system requirements. It has 1.5 GB of RAM and a 160 GB hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.