Mac OS X's Creator Leaves Apple for Science

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"Serlet joined Apple in 1997, and has been involved in the definition, development and creation of Mac OS X, the world’s most advanced operating system. Before joining App..." Ahahaha
"the world’s most advanced operating system" Ahaahahah :D

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I wonder is this coincidence or is it a well planned idea of apple's that both steve jobs & bertrand serlet are either taking off time or have left the company for some period of time...

adam873873

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
"Serlet joined Apple in 1997, and has been involved in the definition, development and creation of Mac OS X, the world’s most advanced operating system."

LOL

Aionism

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Vosovskiq[/nom]"Serlet joined Apple in 1997, and has been involved in the definition, development and creation of Mac OS X, the world’s most advanced operating system. Before joining App..." Ahahaha"the world’s most advanced operating system" Ahaahahah[/citation]
Sounds like something straight out of this Mac support book I used in a class I took. Every sentence not telling you what to do or how something worked was a sentence telling you how great OS X, Mac hardware, and Chairman Jobs are.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Aionism- Yes if I remember right- Mao Zedong was also called Chairman. Yes so advanced you can't run half of the stuff on the software market on it. I have yet to hear an Apple fan give me one legitimate reason on how Apple's OSX is more advanced than Windows 7 besides annoying opinionated answers like "its movie editing is better" give me one thing that OSX has that Windows does not and why it would make the operating system more advanced and I might actually give some credit to OSX even though the OS itself isn't even made from scratch but simply based off of Unix.

pcCodinFoo

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
If OS X is the most advanced OS in the world, why can it only run on specific hardware and Windows (any version) can run on anything in the world that is made of silicon, gallium arsenide, or germanium? Even Linux can run on more hardware than OS X can and it’s free.
If OS X is the most advanced OS in the world, why is Windows able to run on the latest and greatest hardware in the world before it is even commercially available and OS X fanboys can’t have the latest hardware in their Macs until 18 months after it has been released and everyone with a real computer has already moved on to the next great thing?

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Tomtompiper[/nom]I never knew the guy who wrote BSD worked for Apple?[/citation]

Don't be childish. Only a small fraction of Mac OS X is old BSD code.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Every company believes that their product is the best. Allot of it is opinion. I can tell you personally, I have a Windows 7 system that I built and I only use it for Gaming a and a few other things that require Windows. So it is great for me on that. OSX I use for everything else. I am a security engineer by trade so it basically gave me the stability of unix, the compatibility with allot of open source applications either through darwin ports or through my own code compilation so I had access to tons of network and security tools and I have a fantastic multitasking gui interface that allowed me to yes productivity applications like office. Can i say one is better than the other..... absolutely, but it depends on the use. Can anyone say one is more advanced than the other...no because I did not write the code to tell you for a fact. I can tell you that based on my use, it is not that it is massively better than Windows but what it does do better than windows is significant. You see, Apple is a engineering company, they pay attention to the little stuff and there are tons of little things that they nail.

I can tell you for a fact, the system does not slow down over time, does not slow down when loaded with applications, manages the disk much better, has better backup features, does not has the number of viruses available, is stable, has a much more efficient IP stack, has better built in parental control options, has better multitasking ability, has built in data encryption features, has better connection sharing features, has better system search capability, has a better filesystem, has ssh, scp, tcpdump built in. Closer adherence to RFC's (really due to it's unix underpinnings), handles multi threaded applications much better, much better memory management. I should go ahead and stop.

This basically again based on how I use the OS though. Someone else that is a more traditional user type might have less to compare against.

G

I read "worlds most advanced operating system"... and thought to my self this must be written by marcus... sure enough.

ohseus

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Sigh.. Time to correct some more ignorance.

@Cadder focus on Science?
Programming for OS X is very alien, like straight out of Science Fiction.
Really? Ever actually programed an OS X application?

...give me one thing that OSX has that Windows does not...
Unix under the hood. If you do not understand Unix because it doesn't play games you are lost. BTW I can run a shell script to check a laptop on the network to see how much battery life it has and maximum battery life. I can actually delete an entire program with out it leaving muck in the highly antiquated registry.

...Windows (any version) can run on anything in the world that is made of silicon...
Hyperbole much? There are numerous processors that Windows does not run on stating any version will run on anything is simply ludicrous. Windows runs on exactly the hardware Microsoft wants it to run on. OS X runs on what Apple wants it to run on. Apple is simply more selective.

The greatest hardware in the world does not use Windows, unless of course by greatest you mean gaming whatever in which case your definition of greatest is childish at best.

...Mac OS X, the world’s most locked-down operating system
Fixed. ...

Do this go into your system folder and see what MS does not allow you to play with. Try telling an application what DLL (library) you want it to use then tell me what OS is "locked down".

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]pcCodinFoo[/nom]If OS X is the most advanced OS in the world, why can it only run on specific hardware and Windows (any version) can run on anything in the world that is made of silicon, gallium arsenide, or germanium? Even Linux can run on more hardware than OS X can and it’s free.If OS X is the most advanced OS in the world, why is Windows able to run on the latest and greatest hardware in the world before it is even commercially available and OS X fanboys can’t have the latest hardware in their Macs until 18 months after it has been released and everyone with a real computer has already moved on to the next great thing?[/citation]

Don't be a tool. It runs on specific hardware because Apple doesn't want to invest the time and effort to develop driver for every piece of hardware out there. It's called making $$$. That's why Apple is rolling in it and all the PC makers are running on razor thin margins.

That being said, Mac OS X, runs just fine on my Q9500 black box (it's not a Mac but because the hardware is very similar to what is officially supported by Apple, it runs beautifully).

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
@Cadder focus on Science?
Programming for OS X is very alien, like straight out of Science Fiction.
Really? Ever actually programed an OS X application?

I own a Mac and a PC and I program on both, which is why I know how they compare.

...give me one thing that OSX has that Windows does not...
Unix under the hood
I think Unix would be good punishment for my worst enemy. I spent my time as a Unix system administrator. Working on PC's was like going from a horse and buggy to a race car.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Serlet joined Apple in 1997, and has been involved in the definition, development and creation of Mac OS X, the world’s most advanced operating system.

Nice work slipping that on in there Marcus. Can't help yourself can you? LOL.

pcCodinFoo

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]STravis[/nom]Don't be a tool. It runs on specific hardware because Apple doesn't want to invest the time and effort to develop driver for every piece of hardware out there. It's called making $$$. That's why Apple is rolling in it and all the PC makers are running on razor thin margins.That being said, Mac OS X, runs just fine on my Q9500 black box (it's not a Mac but because the hardware is very similar to what is officially supported by Apple, it runs beautifully).[/citation]

Please, a Q9500??? That’s an archaic POS!!! A single core of my O.C.’d Phenom 2 X6 can run circles around all four of your cores, especially since your POS Mac won’t let you overclock. Oh, and why won’t it let you overclock? Cuz it doesn’t have a BIOS. And why doesn’t it have a BIOS? Because steve jobs knows that 90% of his customers are morons whom he has to tell that they are “holding their iPhone wrong” and they’d F their Mac up 5 times a day if it had a BIOS and Apple tech support is busy enough trying to help all those “I’m gunna buy a Mercedes for 5X the price of a Honda cuz it looks like it is better” mentality type people who buy Macs. (that would be the $$$ you mentioned that Apple is making by robbing people stupid enough to think big price tag always means better, even though all the parts inside are the cheapest crap Apple could get contracts for; Seagate hard drives, foxconn MBs, …I can’t count how many complaints I have heard from Mac owners about their hard drives dying and their “super drives” dying – only Apple would call a DVD drive a “super drive” and only because their customers are the only ones that would fall for that… and yet you said that Apple is an “engineering” company that pays attention to the little details… Apple hires artists when they should hire engineers, hence the pretty, glossy, exteriors concealing crappy “super drives” that are bound to fail 10X more often than a normal DVD drive from newegg for $19)
Windows doesn’t run on the best hardware in the world? I’d say an AMD HD 6990 is about the best piece of hardware that most people can afford and if you use openCL with C# you have a super computer sitting on your desk for about $2,000… (instead of spending $2,000 for your POS MacBook that didn’t even have a Core i7 option until what, a month ago?) You will never be able to get an HD 6990 for your POS Mac and even if you could (18 months from now) Apple would charge you $1,200 to add that to your Mac Pro configuration since most people who don’t know how to hold their iPhone correctly would not know how to newegg. Apple is a joke, just like Mercedes is a joke, just like…

anacandor

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
@ pcCodinFoo
The word 'fanboy' has been thrown around a lot lately. For your next post, can you please include some evidence for your claims?

Yours truly,
The guy who has a merc and a windows rig.

G

OS X is a joke.

USB drives. When will Apple work out if might want to be compatible with USB drives that had been previously in a windows machine. Only read access.

Clap clap.

SMB support, where are you? Ohhh thats right, they didn't follow the standard. In certain situations you will only get read only root level access to the SMB share. Still broken in 10.6.6. Go read further into it if you wish

Printer drivers, some drivers do not allow users to switch from color to mono. Poor support for top end xerox printers.

If you can't even get the basic's right then you have no right calling yourself advanced anything. OS x please die now

Status
Not open for further replies.