Mac Printer

I have an old Power Macintosh 6100 Computer that I use for graphics work
that had an HP Deskjet 855C printer connected to it. Unfortunately, the
printer has given up the ghost. Anyone know where I can find another
HP855 printer or a printer compatible with the Power Mac 6100?

Anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this problem? I'd hate to
give up on my good old Mac.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob

Robert Walker <rwalker@ameritech.net> wrote:
> I have an old Power Macintosh 6100 Computer that I use for graphics
> work that had an HP Deskjet 855C printer connected to it.
> Unfortunately, the printer has given up the ghost. Anyone know
> where I can find another HP855 printer or a printer compatible with
> the Power Mac 6100?

Is it really a question of a printer compatible with the Power Mac
6100, or is it more a question of a printer with drivers for the
version of the OS you are running on that system? In which case,
knowing the OS rev being run might help.

> Anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this problem? I'd hate
> to give up on my good old Mac.

FWIW, a search for "855 printer" on eBay shows one for sale for ~10
USD.

rick jones
feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com but NOT BOTH...

Going a bit further, the PHYSICAL connection to the Power Mac is what is most
important, whether parallel, AppleTalk or USB. I would think that the
connection would be one of the former. The replacement printer needs to support
the same physical connection as the 855c used.

May I suggest that most any newer DeskJet will most likely work just fine with
the 855c drivers for the whatever version of OS used by the Power Pac. DeskJets
all use HP's Printer Control Language (PCL), and the variants of PCL are all
backward compatible from newer to older... Ben Myers

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:05:46 GMT, Rick Jones <foo@bar.baz.invalid> wrote:

>Robert Walker <rwalker@ameritech.net> wrote:
>> I have an old Power Macintosh 6100 Computer that I use for graphics
>> work that had an HP Deskjet 855C printer connected to it.
>> Unfortunately, the printer has given up the ghost. Anyone know
>> where I can find another HP855 printer or a printer compatible with
>> the Power Mac 6100?
>
>Is it really a question of a printer compatible with the Power Mac
>6100, or is it more a question of a printer with drivers for the
>version of the OS you are running on that system? In which case,
>knowing the OS rev being run might help.
>
>> Anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this problem? I'd hate
>> to give up on my good old Mac.
>
>FWIW, a search for "855 printer" on eBay shows one for sale for ~10
>USD.
>
>rick jones
>--
>The glass is neither half-empty nor half-full. The glass has a leak.
>The real question is "Can it be patched?"
>these opinions are mine, all mine; HP might not want them anyway... :)
>feel free to post, OR email to raj in cup.hp.com but NOT BOTH...

Alan

Robert Walker <rwalker@ameritech.net> wrote in message news:<40FDB05F.96EE17C8@ameritech.net>...
> I have an old Power Macintosh 6100 Computer that I use for graphics work
> that had an HP Deskjet 855C printer connected to it. Unfortunately, the
> printer has given up the ghost. Anyone know where I can find another
> HP855 printer or a printer compatible with the Power Mac 6100?
>
> Anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this problem? I'd hate to
> give up on my good old Mac.

Doing graphics on a 6100 -- that's amazing.
Anyway, I suppose you're using the Mac serial printer port. As you
know, they don't make printers like that any more... But there are a
few things you can do. I believe the 6100 has an ethernet port -- if
so you can use a printer with a network connection, or via a print
server.

Also, you may be familiar with "Powerprint". This is a set of drivers,
for most PC printers, along with a special cable that connected a Mac
serial to a PC parallel port. They also have a few other models (for
USB, ethernet).
(<www.strydent.com>)

It's a bit expensive at $99 new, but on eBay you can find a set for $5
and up -- make sure you get the cables AND software, and pay attention
to the version.
I used this with an even older Mac, a 68020, and a HPII.