Mac Pro Now on Sale But Current Ship Date is February

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Christopher Gehlke

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
meh. What a overpriced piece of shit. Seriously this is what apple is selling as a workstation? looks like my office's trash can. And it costs $3000? seriously? I guess the apple fanboys enjoy getting raped by Crapple. I have an iPhone and its a serious POS. I'd rather just use an android. iOS 7 is garbage too.If you buy a PC that cant even be upgraded for $3000 from a proprietary company like Crapple, you must enjoy getting raped. I'll stick to my customizable PC, thank you.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Reminds me of a mac G4 Cube... There is a reason why you don't really want most of the heat venting out the top even if there's a nice blower, I thought this lesson was learned back in 2000???

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Christopher Gehlke
meh. What a overpriced piece of shit. Seriously this is what apple is selling as a workstation? looks like my office's trash can. And it costs $3000? seriously? I guess the apple fanboys enjoy getting raped by Crapple. I have an iPhone and its a serious POS. I'd rather just use an android. iOS 7 is garbage too.If you buy a PC that cant even be upgraded for $3000 from a proprietary company like Crapple, you must enjoy getting raped. I'll stick to my customizable PC, thank you.

Show us what you can build with similar specs, plus make sure the final design is similarly sized. Otherwise sit in the corner and stay quiet little child.

Nicolai8086

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
In The Netherlands the 12 core 2,7-GHz model with: 64 GB RAM, 1 TB PCIe-flash (SSD), 2 FirePro D700 (6 GB each), Sharp 32-inch PN-K321 4K screen cost € 13.648.01 including 21% VAT that is $ 15 390.67 ex. VAT

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

Actually, businesses don't upgrade graphics cards that much. Memory at times (which is do able here). Most business cannot run on unsupported hardware. They depreciate the hardware they buy over the course of 3 years and in some rare cases 5 years and then they replace the whole thing. They also cannot run on unsupported hardware for very long as these machines are an integral part of content creation. Also most manufacturers will not support the product with 3rd party hardware in it. You call them up and the first thing they blame is the part that did not come from them and they tell you to take it out before they can continue support. All manufacturers do it.

The smaller houses will keep hardware allot longer but their tasks don’t change all that much so their requirements stay fairly consistent. They upgrade the boxes for performance improvements and greater external expandability. Studios for example use the system as a hub of sort to attach to a ton of external devices. So this box is ideally designed for content creation.

Lastly, there are some upgrade ability tradeoffs here. This device is extremely upgradable, Just not as much internally. If you look at the back of the box there are 6 Thunderbolt 2 ports rated at 20Gbps. That is crazyness because Thunderbolt ports are tied directly to the PCI Express bus. What this means that because of the throughput you can use external graphics enclosures to add whatever you want along with any number of other devices that can tether to each other.

You won't be able to build a box with these specs or capabilities. Forget the pricing exercises, which has already been proven that this box is priced about right. You cannot build a box with the same capabilities when you consider the 6 thunderbolt 2 ports.

So when you guys try and put a equivalent build together you can forget trying to come close to the case design. SilverStone tech is the only one that makes something close but you would be hard pressed to find a mATX workstation class board with 802.11ac and a/b/g/n with 6 thunderbolt 2 ports along with 4 usb and dual gigabit ethernet interfaces.

All things considered, anyone that can suggest that they can build a box with OSX or Windows that is faster and more capable than this box does not know what they are talking about and are just pulling stuff out of their ass. Have no idea how these boxes are used nor understand how critical support ability is for anyone that makes a living on their workstation. There are only a few here that actually look at this with reason and did the research to actually compare and all of those that did found that what Apple has put together is a pretty solid offering bordering on almost being considered a value from a workstation perspective.

Just a bunch of blind hate for Apple from people that are about as technically credible as my 4 year old. My how TomsHardware has fallen over the years. I too have been building a reading TomsHardware since the 486 days. Definitely not the same place.

Oh and to the garbage can comments. Keep your dusty boxes with LED lights, Voltron aesthetics and let the real pros focus on being productive while you troubleshoot why your hard drive light stays on. If you tried to put a snot rag in this particular "trash can" it would get blown back in your face by the massive turbine fan that is in this thing. Entire system is cooled by one big fan.

kulmnar

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Ok, so Apple is all about style, not substance, I get it. Now, from a stylistic perspective, this looks like an expensive trash can for holding used toilet paper.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

Then your bathroom must smell really bad.....all the time.

pdxgfx

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
The interesting thing is that while this is definitely workstation class equipment, I can't recall too many people using Macs for engineering reasons. It helps some in 3D animation to have a workstation card (or two) in there but ultimately most of the work can easily be done using a desktop card. I don't know too many folks who need that kind of power on a media creation standpoint (my job is a motion graphic designer/3D animator). For example, on Adobe software they still prefer you use Nvidia hardware although they have updated some things in After effects to include AMD cards. To use any accelerated media conversion though it's either CUDA or software based. You can get similar results from an iMac plus you get a gorgeous 27" monitor for less than the base cost of a Mac Pro even with upgrading the CPU and GC. Sure the Mac Pro will have faster internal booting because of the SSD but will it handle 4k footage better than a fully boosted iMac? I would love to see some real world results and not some meaningless benchmark scores.

kulmnar

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

Since you're clearly getting one, it must be your toilet that smells really bad.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

Needs vary based on occupation. There is no question that you can do a number of things on something like an iMac or a basic gaming pc. You said it in our post, Motion Graphic Designer/3D Animator. Perhaps in your specific occupation you are better served with a traditional gaming card but my guess is if there where sufficient benchmarks for tasks specific to your occupation you may find that the Mac Pro performs exceptionally well with your tasks. You would then have to be able to make a business justification for that improvement which would be analyzing the cost benefit. If you can get more done in a shorter period of time then it may be worth considering spending the money on the machine.

inthere

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006

bang

but its not sold out because of workstation enterprise companies all rushed and ordered it or waited in line at the local apple store to order one... its sold out because of hobbyist want a nice looking computer.... thats the main problem i have with the marketing strategy used by apple. i dont know any workstation professionals but apple fans have been waiting for this for like 3 months now since the leaked specs and been debating about finally being able to game and be faster than pc users crappy home built computers.

inthere

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
Audio and video workstation sector has been waiting for a new Mac Pro for years. On the pro audio forums where I hang, the new design was slammed non stop since it was announced, mostly by people that had no intention of buying one anyway. Apple must have listened to all the hate and "trash can" jokes and photos so they went with a minimal run.

But a lot of pros, myself included, have been ready to buy one for awhile.

MK_in_mke

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
@ Iknowhowtofixit

I just signed in when I read your comments. I have to admit my surprise at so much hatred and lack of understanding of the Mac world and the Workstation / Engineering workstation business. It is obvious based on your comments.

No attack in my email, just a simple observation based on your comments. And without revealing much of your "vendor price" you could have given an order of magnitude… Facts are important… Just like the lack of them in your previous reply.

so my good friends brother got his preorder for this new mac pro... smh... hes just a hobbyist whos looking forward to faster amateur family video final cut pro work and would like to do some gaming. i mean, he has the money, always buys the newest ipads and iphones... now this. whatever, but still, this is a very strange brainwash marketing thing if a non professional is purchasing these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.