Question Macbook pro 17 screen flickering

Pcboy69

Reputable
Jul 3, 2019
Video of screen My mac looked like this when i turned it on this morning and i have no idea what the cause is as there could be alot of causes, any fixes or is there something broken?
Its working properly except the display issues.
Macbook pro 2017(13in, 2 bolts 3 ports) intel i5

Things ive tried:

• restarting
  • restarting in safe mode
  • swapped resolution
  • looked for the change graphics switch options (but dont think there is one for this model)
  • reset smc
  • reset nvram
^not sure if it worked but pressed the keys and kt rebooted
  • checked for updates, this newest ver might have bugs?
  • checked if i can disable the true tone option (but dont seem to have it)
  • adjusted the screen to see if the flickering changes at all(it doesnt)
  • checked if i can downgrade to another os, but i dont have an earlier backup

so my conclusion is that there is either some faulty software os, or maybe something else? Someone said that their mac got overheated and fried something, but ive had this mac running pretty intensivly before just fine, and last night when it worked i was just watching yt.

any help would be highly appreciated.

D

Deleted member 362816

I would assume a faulty lcd ribbon cable from the looks of it.

When it is doing this if you move the screen physically up and down a bit does it change any?

D

Deleted member 362816

Moving the screen does not affect the screen flickering at all, so it made me think its something else - could it be software issues?

From the looks of it if it's not the cable the LCD screen most likely is bad. Doesn't look like a software or GPU issue to me.

Pcboy69

Reputable
Jul 3, 2019
From the looks of it if it's not the cable the LCD screen most likely is bad. Doesn't look like a software or GPU issue to me.
Right, so the whole screen would have to be replaced? Any other troubleshooting or things you could recommend me to do? Or should i go to an apple certified store and see what they say?
Thanks for the help regardless :)

D

Deleted member 362816

Right, so the whole screen would have to be replaced? Any other troubleshooting or things you could recommend me to do? Or should i go to an apple certified store and see what they say?
Thanks for the help regardless :)

No really much left to try, I would just take it to a apple store and see what they say.