Question Machine Check Exception when trying to reinstall windows 10

Jan 9, 2020
Hello!

The other day my PC started BSODing while in the midst of gaming. The BSOD would happen sooner and sooner after boot. Eventually, I fell into an "attempting automatic repair" loop.

I was then unable to boot into ANY media, not my drives, Windows recovery boot options, windows 10 USB... Even Ubuntu live can't get passed GRUB. The USB was tested as working just fine on other machines.

I had thought the issue was the motherboard, as I swapped out RAM, did memtest86x, and everything else seems fine.

Tried a new mobo, exactly the same thing. Every time I boot, I go into a bootloop of "attempting automatic repair", if I try to use USB, I get a BSOD with "Machine Check Exception".

With this new Asus z390a, when the BSOD during usb boot happens, the CPU light stays a solid red.

Is my CPU fried out of nowhere?

Specs:
i7 9900k (never overclocked)
Asus z390a elite
3200 DDR4 GSKILL 8x2GB
Asus Strix 2080 OC Edition
Thermaltake 600W Gold PSU
Intel 660p 1TB SSD

- Tried booting without all components, including SSD, wireless card, swapped RAM, GPU, CPU cooler... No avail.

Teemstro

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2013
For anyone who comes to this post down the road, the problem is the processor. I just dealt with it today and it's the first time in my 13 years of working on PCs I have ever seen one go bad. The thing still would POST, however trying to load any O/S, Windows or Linux, would result in some form of MACHINE CHECK EXCEPTION. After swapping out the CPU, the PC booted right up and ran like a champ. Hope this helps someone in the future.