Question Machine Check Exception

Oct 5, 2020
Built my PC about 3 weeks ago and I am beginning to experience crashes that seemed to be ramping up in frequency. Whether I am playing a game or browsing the web, it does not matter, the crash still persists. I have made no changes to my hardware other than bringing my RAM up to it's labelled speed. Despite turning off automatic restart, my PC still does not show a blue screen nor any trace of an error code I can follow. All I get is an event ID 18, sourced as Machine Check Exception in my system log. With that, I also receive a slew of event ID 19's, suggesting a corrected hardware error has occurred, but the error source is unknown. When I say slew, I mean 30 errors appearing in the log over the course of a literal second, although this does not lead to a subsequent crash oddly enough. Both errors are completely random, other than when I begin a stressful task, as either my computer will restart almost immediately or it will stay on without issue. Some days my computer can play a game almost all day, others it restarts every hour or so. I've run stress tests on my CPU and GPU, both of which suffice as long as the computer does not crash within the first ten seconds. I've also run MemTest86, SFC, DISM, and CHKDSK, all of which have come back with normal results. My BIOS and Windows version is up to date. I've run DDU in the past, and all of my other drivers are up to date, so that is not the issue. Something I should mention, this error just started to resurface again sometime around last week, whereas before the issue began about 5 days after my PC's first POST, but subsequently stopped after installing new GPU drivers, but I've already done this, again and again, yet the error persists. Does anyone have ideas or suggestions?

My specs

Ryzen 3600

MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3600 16gb

NVIDIA Founders 2060 super

EVGA 650W 80+ Gold

Built my PC about 3 weeks ago and I am beginning to experience crashes that seemed to be ramping up in frequency. Whether I am playing a game or browsing the web, it does not matter, the crash still persists. I have made no changes to my hardware other than bringing my RAM up to it's labelled speed. Despite turning off automatic restart, my PC still does not show a blue screen nor any trace of an error code I can follow. All I get is an event ID 18, sourced as Machine Check Exception in my system log. With that, I also receive a slew of event ID 19's, suggesting a corrected hardware error has occurred, but the error source is unknown. When I say slew, I mean 30 errors appearing in the log over the course of a literal second, although this does not lead to a subsequent crash oddly enough. Both errors are completely random, other than when I begin a stressful task, as either my computer will restart almost immediately or it will stay on without issue. Some days my computer can play a game almost all day, others it restarts every hour or so. I've run stress tests on my CPU and GPU, both of which suffice as long as the computer does not crash within the first ten seconds. I've also run MemTest86, SFC, DISM, and CHKDSK, all of which have come back with normal results. My BIOS and Windows version is up to date. I've run DDU in the past, and all of my other drivers are up to date, so that is not the issue. Something I should mention, this error just started to resurface again sometime around last week, whereas before the issue began about 5 days after my PC's first POST, but subsequently stopped after installing new GPU drivers, but I've already done this, again and again, yet the error persists. Does anyone have ideas or suggestions?

My specs

Ryzen 3600

MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3600 16gb

NVIDIA Founders 2060 super

EVGA 650W 80+ Gold
I would reseat the gpu and ram making sure they are seated properly and snuggly into socket.

Oct 5, 2020
Tried it, positive they are seated properly, no luck. Event ID 19's still persist. I'm beginning to think it may be the power supply, considering my PC does not blue screen, despite me turning automatic restart off. Not even a glimpse is visible. Could that be possible?