Question Macrium cloned disk missing partitions. Please help

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
What I'd suggest you to do ...
get yourself another drive (external HDD perhaps) - 1TB at least.

Use R-Drive Image software to make image of OS drive.
It allows skipping bad/unreadable blocks.

Then restore image to new NVME drive.

Make sure, you a have heatsinks on both your NVME drives.
Both of them are PCIE 4.0 drives and require heatsinks.
Old drive reported being overheated. It may have lead to failure of the old drive.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2024
What I'd suggest you to do ...
get yourself another drive (external HDD perhaps) - 1TB at least.

Use R-Drive Image software to make image of OS drive.
It allows skipping bad/unreadable blocks.

Then restore image to new NVME drive.

Make sure, you a have heatsinks on both your NVME drives.
Both of them are PCIE 4.0 drives and require heatsinks.
Old drive reported being overheated. It may have lead to failure of the old drive.
Thanks for all the help. Unfortunately I'm not the most financially stable person and it took a lot to get the new ssd. I'll settle for just installing windows on the new drive and slowly moving my stuff over. Thank you

Oct 5, 2024
R-Drive image software may allow copying directly drive to drive.
Then additional drive would not be necessary.
I'm just not sure, if it allows skipping bad/unreadable blocks in this mode.
You could as well try it.
Thanks man but I'm tired. I think its because my disk is failing. But cloning always takes 2-3 days. I don't know if I can sit through another 3 days just to end up with failure again. Thanks for all the help though

Oct 5, 2024
If you decide on going clean install route, then make sure, you disconnect old SSD during install.
Or else new SSD will not be made bootable.
And when your old SSD finally dies completely, you won't be able to boot into windows.
Thanks. I've done the process before so I think I'll be fine from here

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
When I'm cloning disks with Macrium, I like to drag and drop partitions one at a time, from the Source drive to the Destination drive, instead of using the automatic mode. I find this especially useful when the Source and Destination drives are different sizes.

Despite both your drives showing up as 953.85MB in Disk Manager, I suspect the Destination drive might be a few KB smaller, preventing Macrium from copying the last two partitions. Then again I could be wrong.

Try this:

1). In Macrium, select the Destination drive and Delete any existing partitions to create blank drive.
2). Drag and drop the first partition 260MB (Healthy System Partition) from Source to Destination drive.
3). Counterintuitively, drag and drop 3rd partition 779MB (Healthy Recovery Partition) to Destination.
4). Select 779MB partition on Destination and select "Flush Right" command. Partition moves to end.
5). Select 2nd partition (Windows C: drive) and drop on Destination. Select "Fill Space" command if necessary.
6). Proceed with disk clone.
7). Unplug original Source drive.
8). Set BIOS to boot from Destination drive.
9). Job done.

P.S. It might be a good idea to remove any other drives whilst cloning.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2024
When I'm cloning disks with Macrium, I like to drag and drop partitions one at a time, from the Source drive to the Destination drive, instead of using the automatic mode. I find this especially useful when the Source and Destination drives are different sizes.

Despite both your drives showing up as 953.85MB in Disk Manager, I suspect the Destination drive might be a few KB smaller, preventing Macrium from copying the last two partitions. Then again I could be wrong.

Try this:

1). In Macrium, select the Destination drive and Delete any existing partitions to create blank drive.
2). Drag and drop the first partition 260MB (Healthy System Partition) from Source to Destination drive.
3). Counterintuitively, drag and drop 3rd partition 779MB (Healthy Recovery Partition) to Destination.
4). Select 779MB partition on Destination and select "Flush Right" command. Partition moves to end.
5). Select 2nd partition (Windows C: drive) and drop on Destination. Select "Fill Space" command if necessary.
6). Proceed with disk clone.
7). Unplug original Source drive.
8). Set BIOS to boot from Destination drive.
9). Job done.
Its actually a few kb bigger. Thanks for the advice but I've long decided to do a fresh install. The whole cloning thing has taken a toll on me. I hope this advice can help someone in the future

TRENDING THREADS