Magic Leap Finally Reveals Hardware, Dev Kits Ship Early 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Now, the platform needs content to make it a desirable product for the average person."
Sorry, but if you're an augmented reality creator the Windows AR platform would seem much more appealing. I'm afraid despite it's technological advancements the Windows AR platform has a much bigger market share. Unless there are some amazing programs/applications made for this I expect their tech to be purchased by a bigger company. (It does sound pretty cool though.)

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
Hey look its 'happy' glasses from Mark Osborne's MORE(search "Mark Osborne's MORE " in youtube if you dont know of it). Is that the goal of this tech? To make an increasingly dystopian world look more appealing.

In any case....looks pretty dumb, no thanks. The tech could be cool for learning and children i guess. But man the design is dumb, needs much work.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Employees were previously seen using Nvidia Tegra X1 development boards, so odds are that it's using a Tegra X2 or even Xavier. Both have much more powerful GPUs than anything available from Qualcomm or Intel, and Lightfield rendering is extremely GPU-intensive. In fact, I recall reading speculation that the lack of portable GPU horsepower was one of the things holding them back.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Without trying it, there's no way to properly understand the gulf between Magic Leap and everything else. Everyone who has tried it says it really lives up to the hype.

By using lightfields, the rendered imagery should match the depth of field of everything else you see. By contrast, Hololens renders its imagery at a fixed focal distance (in spite of the stereoscopic distance) and this limits it to a fairly narrow range of apparent depths at which it can place CG objects.

With over $1.4B invested, there aren't many companies who can & would buy them, but I'd rather see Apple snap them up than Alibaba (their biggest investor).

Status
Not open for further replies.