Question MAJOR problems with XFX Radeon RX 570 RS XXX Edition

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 9, 2019
HI all, I am looking to hopefully get some help here. I have dell inspiron 3847 dektop, windows 10 home 64 bit, version 10.0.18362, i5-440 cpu, 16 gb ram, 3 monitors, and over 9 tb of storage. I very recent added a XFX Radeon RX 570 RS XXX Edition 1286MHz, 8gb GDDR5, DX12 VR Ready, Dual BIOS, 3xDP HDMI DVI, AMD Graphics Card (RX-570P8DFD6) to my setup, and it has so far been an absolute nightmare. I installed, and with it I downloaded it's latest driver. That worked OK for a few days, but was completely unsuccessful using it for the reason I bought it- as a GPU accelerator as opencl in Adobe premiere and encoder, as well as ray tracing in Adobe after effects. The option was there in premiere, but selecting it resulted in either a fullbwhite video frame in both preview and program, or random letters, numbers, and characters. encoder worked ok, and after effects would not even allow it to be used. I tried one driver back from the newest, to the same result.
However, that was only the start. After about 2 days, the whole thing took a massive downturn. I currently have massive graphical glitches in all applications and even just the desktop and windows file explorer. Slashes appear across the screen when I move the mouse, things dissappear and reappear, letters and numbers change and become unreadable, just a total mess. At first I considered the possibility of a virus, yet after completely uninstalling all traces of drivers and controls related to the card, all worked fine, yet started up immediately again after trying a reinstall. I tried newest driver, one version before that, the oldest available I could find on their site, and the drivers on the included install cd that came w the card. Even now doing a video encoding w adobe media encoder using opencl results in many of the same graphic glitches appearing in the video itself, however without using opencl, it looks so far to be without those glitches in the outputted video files. I should note I did an export before the glitches started appearing all over my system using opencl in encoder, and the video came out fine.
ANY help is so appreciated, I am at my wits end with this, and am beginning to question if I have a defective card? One thing of note, I cannot find a "hardware" option in my bios, so have not made any changes at that level.
Also of note, this card replaces a nvidia quadro 600, which I used without any errors

Oct 9, 2019
Apevia is one of the worse manufacturers of PSU's on the market.

YOU REALLY DO NOT WANT TO GET A CHEAP PSU. Do you really want to trust your high valued PC and all that 9TB of data to a cheap PSU that can corrupt and destroy ALL of it?

Look to spend 100 dollars. An EVGA Supernova G2...not G3, Seasonic Focus or better, are the best you can get for a good price.

Oct 9, 2019

YOU REALLY DO NOT WANT TO GET A CHEAP PSU. Do you really want to trust your high valued PC and all that 9TB of data to a cheap PSU that can corrupt and destroy ALL of it?

Look to spend 100 dollars. An EVGA Supernova G2...not G3, Seasonic Focus or better, are the best you can get for a good price.
Frankly, in this thread I have been told both my psu''s are tradh, one has served me fine since 2014,

Franklu, I have been told both my PSU's are trash, one has worked fine since 2014, the other seems just fine as well. I'm still not convinced my problem is the power supply, but I am at least willing to try a psu that sends out greater wattage, even though I am within the requirements of the card, and I'm having terrible issues even doing things that are not in any way work intensive on the card

Frankly, in this thread I have been told both my psu''s are tradh, one has served me fine since 2014,
Franklu, I have been told both my PSU's are trash, one has worked fine since 2014, the other seems just fine as well. I'm still not convinced my problem is the power supply, but I am at least willing to try a psu that sends out greater wattage, even though I am within the requirements of the card, and I'm having terrible issues even doing things that are not in any way work intensive on the card

A PSU can possibly get you x amount of time, but the risk is far greater of damage if you go cheap. When a PSU does blow, it can take the motherboard, cpu, RAM, hard drives, and even fans out. You may get lucky, but if you DON'T get lucky, you will regret it.

With lesser PSU's, you will see higher risk of damage due to brown-outs, black-outs, power surges, and other issues that a layman doesn't normally think about. Better units have more protections from these issues.

We have explained to you, as to why we think your PSU is the problem. It has been explained in great detail, also. If you don't like it, you can ask elsewhere. Chances are, you will get the same answer as we gave.

Just because something says you are within the wattage, doesn't mean anything. You have to look at the nuts n bolts of exactly WHERE the power is going, within the PSU. If you aren't giving your graphics card the proper wattage and voltage, it will create problems. If you give it dirty power, due to a crappy power supply, you will have problems.

Oct 9, 2019
My understanding is 500w is required for the gpu under more intensive graphical and processing tasks, moving a mouse around the desktop is not one of those tasks, which leads me to think it is not a power issue

Oct 9, 2019
A PSU can possibly get you x amount of time, but the risk is far greater of damage if you go cheap. When a PSU does blow, it can take the motherboard, cpu, RAM, hard drives, and even fans out. You may get lucky, but if you DON'T get lucky, you will regret it.

With lesser PSU's, you will see higher risk of damage due to brown-outs, black-outs, power surges, and other issues that a layman doesn't normally think about. Better units have more protections from these issues.

We have explained to you, as to why we think your PSU is the problem. It has been explained in great detail, also. If you don't like it, you can ask elsewhere. Chances are, you will get the same answer as we gave.

Just because something says you are within the wattage, doesn't mean anything. You have to look at the nuts n bolts of exactly WHERE the power is going, within the PSU. If you aren't giving your graphics card the proper wattage and voltage, it will create problems. If you give it dirty power, due to a crappy power supply, you will have problems.
I think this psu will be fine, plenty of positive reviews on amazon. The one I have now seems good too

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I think this psu will be fine, plenty of positive reviews on amazon. The one I have now seems good too

It's not. You've listed a frightening conga line of garbage-tier power supplies. Old designs, missing protections, dodgy Chinese capacitors, the whole works. Apevia and Raidmax are two of the most notorious brands for selling this kind of dangerous junk.

Consumer reviews for power supplies are absolutely worthless. A power supply review is not some consumer running a power supply and seeing if it dies any more than a cardiologist evaluates your heart by seeing if you're alive or not.

This is what the setup for a review looks like. If a setup is not similar to this, it's not a review and you might as well be blindfolded and throwing a dart at a dart board.

JGTesting1.jpg

Power supplies like the ones linked above are so poor that you don't even see people wanting to review them and possibly endangering their expensive equipment. Power supplies are guilty until proven innocent; every power supply is assumed ineffective without a proper review of it or a similarly designed/produced platform.

You are an adult, of course, and free to endanger your equipment by not taking safety seriously. We see lots of people make your choices and who end up back here wondering why their GPU or motherboard or CPU are dead. Ethically, we have to give you the safe choices, not simply the one you would like to hear. You're having these issues in large part because of the choices you've made.

Just because you see good reviews, you don't understand that the reviewers on those websites are uninformed as well, and making a guess on how good the item is. Look up reviews in the web regarding the build quality. If you can't find one, like DSzymborski said, it's because they are not of a quality good enough that it would worth the time to review them.

Look up power supply tiers such as the one found here in Tomshardware. You will find the ones you listed...at the bottom of the first post, in the DO NOT USE list.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ussion-and-recommended-models-thread.3212332/

There are other PSU lists out there too. Look them up.

So, you should see, we are trying to help you, not deceive you.

While I agree that your issues may not be due to power, there's a reasonable chance they are. You have nonetheless received a lot of correct advice by all the other posters here.

One poster amusingly wrote that you'd given us a "frightening conga line of garbage PSUs" or something like that. You need to listen to the advice being given, because it's sound.

I wouldn't mind, for that rig you could pick up a quality 550w Corsair, Seasonic, EVGA or suchlike for a very reasonable price. Much rather trust my kit to one of those than a Raidmax or Apevia unit.

Oct 9, 2019
Hey all, so update. New card swapped out for the same model. No weird graphic glitches doing normal tbings, a's the other was doing. New power supply linked below.
Still getting the same issues attempting to use open cl with Adobe premiere. Black screen, white screen, or random characters in the preview and program monitors. How do I upload picture here for you all to see? https://www.newegg.com/corsair-cx-s...&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

Hey all, so update. New card swapped out for the same model. No weird graphic glitches doing normal tbings, a's the other was doing. New power supply linked below.
Still getting the same issues attempting to use open cl with Adobe premiere. Black screen, white screen, or random characters in the preview and program monitors. How do I upload picture here for you all to see? https://www.newegg.com/corsair-cx-s...&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

That PSU is much better. Still a mid-range PSU, but it is more respectable.

To upload pictures to Tomshardware, you first must upload them to a hosting site such as imgur. Then line the picture to Tomshardware.

Reactions: rushfanyyz