Majority of options gone from Catalyst Control Centre since upgrading

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

powerisblack

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Basically I upgraded to Windows 8 (don't give me the "well you should have stuck to windows 7") and I opened CCC to scale my monitor to get rid of the black border but most of the options were gone. I assumed I need to upgrade to the Windows 8 CCC. So I uninstalled my (then) current CCC and restarted PC and installed the newest one for Windows 8 64 bit but still got the same issue. I have tried many different versions of CCC but to no avail. I saw someone mention he fixed this by " uninstalling catalyst control center and removing incorrect GAC token from the Windows folder". No idea what that entails.

TL;DR why does my Catalyst Control Center lack options and looks like this after upgrading to Windows 8 and installing the Windows 8 drivers?
3xzYE.png

saamos

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
I found a fix for the black borders issue using regedit.. original post was on superuser though. link:
http://superuser.com/questions/458321/change-overscan-underscan-settings-without-catalyst-control-center

Basically navigate you your "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\video{####....}\0000" and create a new dword registry with the name "DigitalHDTVDefaultUnderscan" ... leave the values at 0.

The source of THAT source was the original contributor of the fix as far as I know.. from: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=62100

I have tested this and confirm it to work (because the guy on superuser wasn't quite sure)

of course.. this doesn't fix the CCC options.. maybe there will be a fix in the future - or if someone still has an answer I'll keep checking back..

Thanks for all the help guys!

the_composer

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
I'm having this exact same problem, but I'm on Windows 7 still! All of a sudden, CCC (now called AMD VISION Engine Control Center) no longer has all of the options of the old CCC, and over/underscan is in particular missing. Why would this be affecting me on Win7, and how do I fix it?

I have a Radeon HD 4890 if that matters.

sleeman1234

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012

worked for me, Thanks!

jfahys

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013

I found a fix although I cannot remember where. It involved uninstalling all versions in add/remove programs.
Deleting amd and/or ati folders in file explorer.
Using CCleaner to wipe out registry entries related to ati/amd graphics drivers. Not as hard as it sounds.
Installing the windows 8 driver using the 10-11 beta software, but only install the driver so that the ATI driver (not the windows driver) shows up in device manager.
Install windows 7 10-6 software.
You will get an error or two loading windows, but you will have Catalyst Control Center back.
The next step is to do a full install of the 10-11 beta, but I haven't got that to work. I stopped short of this step and lived with the windows 7 installation and found ways to get rid of the error messages via msconfig. I hope this helps!

registradus

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
I just upgraded to 13.10 and tried to play Borderlands 2. It was basically unplayable. I went into CCC to see if I could fix it, but there were no options (like OP). I tried uninstalling/reinstalling/downgrading. Nothing seems to get them back...

Maarten88

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
I pulled my hair out for several hours on this problem: almost all settings tabs were missing in CCC after install of AMD drivers for my upgraded media center pc, with Radeon 4200.

After several install/uninstall/cleanup tries, the solution was embarrassingly simple: it turned out the install silently failed, the AMD driver wasn't loaded and I was still running the built-in WDM driver. Running Catalyst results in an almost empty settings screen, with only a few power settings, but no error or warning is shown.

The solution: after the normal install (I used version 13.1), go into device manager, run "update drivers" on the Display Driver, browse to the ATI folder, and let Windows search for a newer driver there. Windows will find it and finally load it. Then, all settings magically re-appear after a restart of CCC.

japikle

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013

THANK YOU so much! :pt1cable:

This is indeed the easiest and cleanest solution to this very annoying problem!
I don't understand why AMD has not fixed this issue yet.
It's not new and finding a solution was not possible until you posted it :D

You are the man!

EDIT:
Btw:
I needed to select the correct driver folder (currently C:\AMD\Support\13-1_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql).
Just running the automated driver search did not find it.

K1l3rL0oP

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Guys yesterday i bought g6 pavilion pretty good laptop ... and when i tried to set it to my 37' TV i was able to see only the middle of my desktop screen (due to resolution i assume).

So i did everything you guys suggested i wasted like 10+ hours on the forums such as this one and hp forums as well ... nothing helped i re-installed , deleted removed got older versions got the latest beta one ... nothing. So what i did was ... i went back to the market i bought the damn HP and i got myself ASUS with NVIDIA and now everything is ok. Sorry to say that but HP lost another customer. Poor customer service, no bios update since 10.2012, no answers ... I wish you all luck with fixing that annoying screen fit thingie.
Best regards

maxify

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

Thank you so much. After trying almost everything, this neat and simple solution works. I guess few people owe you a drink. :bounce:

skulldrag

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013

My God. Thank you so much. This is by far the only thing that worked. I couldn't run any of my 3D graphic design programs because they need open GL 1.3 to work. Without the ccc installed properly it would only recognize it as 1.1. You my friend are a true life saver.

Free_Hidings

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013

I am still pulling hair!! I tried this and it said "Your drivers are up to date" But still I have NO graphical configuration options in CCC... This is extremely... Darn... Frustrating...

Ash Glanville

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013

I have the same problem, I have tried everthing and I mean everything on this post, lost my CCC, but recovered it. no matter what I only have the few options in the CCC.

itspeanutyay

Honorable
May 4, 2013
FEAR NOT I HAVE THE ANSWER all you need to do is whack in the cd that came with your card and click the lovely big install button ALL YOUR PROBLEMS WILL BE ANSWERED thankyou and goodnight

Matchoo

Honorable
May 4, 2013

How do you keep it from automatically installing drivers for the Card when selecting scan for new hardware? Or is it supposed to?

zoom377

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2011

Awesome, thank you! What worked for me was uninstalling the drivers first before trying this.
When I uninstalled them, the graphics card was shown in "Other" in device manager.

I have a HD 6670

Al C

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
I went through this nightmare and got it working, so i decided to put together this guide to spare ppl further misery. (This is for Windows 8.1, but I'm assuming things are the same for Windows 8.)

The problem is that Window's 8.1 has a built-in, default AMD driver which is blocking the AMD driver that you downloaded from installing. Furthermore, Catalyst Control Center (called "AMD Fusion" on some systems) does not like the Windows 8.1 default driver. This is why CCC isn't displaying all the graphics card options.

The key is to get the downloaded driver to install. To do this, you have to remove the default driver first, which is slightly tricky.

Here are all the steps:

1. Download the driver from AMD's website, but do not install it yet.

2. If you already have it installed, uninstall it. Select the option to remove all. You do not have to run a registry cleaner. Furthermore, do NOT run AMD's registry cleaner "removal tool" (available on their website), as it is totally incompatible with Windows 8.1 and will destroy it beyond repair. (No, i'm not exaggerating)

3. Run device manager as an administrator. Select the graphics card, and uninstall the default AMD driver. Make sure you check the box to "delete" the driver as well.

4. Disconnect from the internet. This prevents windows from re-installing the default driver in the next step.

5. Scan for hardware changes in the device manager. This brings your device back, but not the driver. (The 'scan for hardware' button will not be there if you didn't run device manager as an adminstrator)

6. Install the AMD driver that you downloaded from AMD's website.

7. Right click on desktop and run Catalyst Control Center to make sure it is working now

8. Re-connect to internet

Status
Not open for further replies.