apel444

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
Hey,
My computers been acting up ever since I've moved house. At first i thought it was a virus (& my windows was getting slow anyway) so I did a complete system wipe. Yet, With a fresh XP and just a few essential programs installed i'm having the same problems!

I've done a memtest that came back OK & I don't really know what else to do.

List of oddity's that my PC now does (its XP by the way)

* Every now and again it will forget it has a sound card, nothing audio will work and when you click the volume icon in the right hand side of the screen it informs me there is no sound card to control!

* Random internet issues, for example: All i will get is blank pages via my LAN connection until i restart my pc and then it will be fine. I know its not issues with the connection because I've tested it on a laptop that has been fine!

* Apart from that the computers just been generally acting up with program crashes (yet no blue screens of death!!)

Any ideas?
The help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I've experienced these symptoms before. On the computer this happened on, it was a corrupted BIOS or bad BIOS chip. The motherboard was old, so I just bought a new motherboard. The sound when out first, then the LAN would sometimes disappear under my devices. I re-flashed it, but it was no help. Then i got the BSOD on a clean install.

apel444

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
Hmm, Sounds identical to my problems. Majorly annoying because I bought a expensive mother board to avoid problems like this & its only 2 years old! Oh well, have to get a new mobo sorted. Cheers for the help.