make limit for each device in network

Nader_

Reputable
Sep 28, 2015
hi .. look guys i have a network in my home with my family .. but they maybe download or watching many videos and this making me can't play online games
is there any way to make limit for each device so i can have a stable ping for my online games

RageGamingZone

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015
well if your current router doesn't allow you to manage the download and upload of the devices on the network, what you can do is buy a cheap TP-Link router that can support DD-WRT. You can know which device support this firmware by going here http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices. When you install this firmware on the router you should be able to manage the download and upload speed of each devices on your network with their MAC addresses.

Nader_

Reputable
Sep 28, 2015

acutally my knowledge in networking is 0 ..
so what is DD.-WRT .. ( no need to explain if you don't have time ) but will it give me the ability to limite the speed for their use not only for downloading but for youtube videos or whatever ,???,

RageGamingZone

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015

DD-WRT is a firmware that you install on a router and replace the factory based software on it (I don't think it can be reverted, I would have to test) then you can access the new router interface and manage the speed of the download by setting this option on each MAC address that is connected to your network. This will in turn limit not only the download but streaming or any network activity done on the device that has the MAC address that you managed this network speed.

If you are a novice at networking and you really like computers and want to have fun then you could try this. This is not the easy road but there is a lot of fun and stuff to learn along the way.

On the other hand, if you don't really care about all of this than you might have to find another way. Usually, when you want to use advanced options like this on a router, it can come with a cost and sometimes it can become very expensive. This solution can be a bit cheaper but comes with more head scratching.

RageGamingZone

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015

Have you first accesses the GUI of you router to see if there was an option to manage the network activities of the devices that are connected on your network?

Nader_

Reputable
Sep 28, 2015

are you tried this before ??.. i don't mind to get some headache to do it .. if it will work in the end .. iwill search about it DD-WRT and iwill try it .. wish me luck

RageGamingZone

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015
to be honest I did not try it myself by I have a dlink router and I'm going to try for sure because it seems that this firmware updade can also boots the power of the wireless signal and it has other capabilities as well. I just didnt have time lately to do this. If your going to try it, I would like to get your feedback as well and I wish you good luck with this and loads of fun :)