[SOLVED] Make my SSD for OS only.

M4lchi

Prominent
Feb 16, 2021
Hi, I've got a 24GB SSD in my old laptop and i have just reinstalled the whole windows onto that SSD. Now there is like 1GB free on that drive. But i have a problem, when i install apps that dont show you the install directory, they automatically install to that small SSD. So is there a way to have only Windows on that SSD and lock it, so nothing else can go there?

M4lchi

Prominent
Feb 16, 2021
I am actually surprised you were able to get it to install to a drive that small. The bigger issue you will shortly face is that it will fail updates as there isn't enough room to park the installer.

Time to consider a bigger drive.
Ye, its a 10 year old laptop supposed to run like internet and multimedia only. But i just found out that i need to constantly clear the SSD.

Maxham51

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
I have a computer with a 120 GB SSD I would not recommend going smaller. This computer has very apps and all the programs that can be are on another drive. It does have a recovery partition. The User folders have been redirected to another drive as has the Browser Cache and Virtual Memory. Really the only Thing a 24GB SSD is good for is as a 2nd drive to hold the Virtual Memory and possibly the Browser Cache. Putting the Cache and Virtual memory on a 2nd SSD drive is a good idea as it will greatly reduce the writes to a SSD boot disk thus increasing it's life. Also it is a good idea to have the Virtual memory and Browser cache on a SSD drive as it will greatly improve the performance over having them on a mechanical drive.
This is why I like to use 2 SSD drives, One for my system and Programs and the other for use as stated above.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
a 24GB SSD
No.

This will fail in many ways.
Most applications give you the option of where to install. But not all.
Any Windows updates WILL go to the C drive, even such trivial and small things like WIn Defender.
The semi annual Win 10 update will fail completely.

And you cannot force 'everything' to install to some other drive. That will kill the OS before long.

24GB is far far too small.
Even a 120GB drive is on the edge of TooSmall.