Making a Switch into a Router

G

I have a home LAN with 3 computers and a linksys switch. Problem is, I want to hook the LAN up to the net for ADSL. I don't want to shell out the $$$ for a router, so does anyone know how if I can somehow get the switch to automatically assign IP's, and how to connect the switch to DSL.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Nope, a switch will never completely take the place of a router.

However, if you have NT/2000, it's a cinch to set up all the networking stuff you'll need.

-----------------
Whoever thinks up a good sig for me gets a prize :wink:

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
except most of the new enterprise class switches now from Nortel, Cisco, Juniper etc.?

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
not going to happen.

you have 2 choices. #1 not recommended: Get a 2nd NIC in one of the PCs and run ICS (internet connection sharing) but this leaves one of your machines fulltime exposed on the internet.

Option 2: buy a linksys integrated switch/router for $100 and sell you old switch to a mate.

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

Simply put...

Routers are OSI Layer 3 devices (Network layer - packets)
Switches are OSI Layer 2 devices (Data Link Layer - frames)

Switches connect LAN segments, use a table of MAC addresses to determine the segment on which a datagram needs to be transmitted, and reduce traffic.

Routers tie together, or interconnect network segments or entire networks. They pass data packets between networks based on Layer 3 information.

Protocols that support the network layer use a hierarchical addressing scheme that allows for unique addresses across network boundaries, along with a method for finding a path for data to travel between networks. While MAC addresses use a flat addressing scheme that makes it difficult to locate devices on other networks.

<A HREF="http://www.rad.com/networks/1997/nettut/protocols.html#OSI7" target="_new">Here</A> is a link to help.

The bottom line is that switches take on data differently to routers.

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>