Making buffered non-buffered

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hey, I've got a tricky one for you. I've had this worthless 32mb EDO Buffered Dimm sitting around a while. Well, I've been refurbishing computers for quite some time, and once in a while I come across one that requires a NON-buffered EDO DIMM. Can I just remove the buffer cache from this module and file the center-slot out a little and make it work in a non-buffered board?

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
You asked for a reply so I'll give you one. I seriously doubt it's that simple (although that really isn't simple), and there would probably be compatibility problems.
You gotta give me credit for trying!

- "I forgot my shirt, but I had body glitter."

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Wow, that is a tough question. I have no idea. But here is a suggestion, go ahead and try it, if you have problems, then you know it didn't work.
How's that?

I ain't seen a beating like that since somebody stuck a banana in my pants and turned a monkey loose

Tempus

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2001
If it's so worthless, than I guess you won't be too dissapointed if it doesn't work. Go for it!

- "I forgot my shirt, but I had body glitter."

G

sure it works if yuo want to melt the memory right onto your mobo.
A friend of mine actually tried this. and fried both the memory module aswell as his memory slot on the mobo. He had 4mb memory after all that happened... oh well i cant stop you in doing it anyways

Hey man i dont know .. i just think i do !!

Hobbit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I understand why you asked. It might cost you 50 bucks to find out. I have no idea is my answer.

"Suicide is not chosen---it happens when pain exceeds resources for coping with pain"

"A masochist walked up to a sadist, and said 'Hurt me'. The sadist said 'No' and walked away."

TRENDING THREADS