Making the switch - Nvidia > Amd

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
I'm looking for the ultimate Ultra wide screen graphics solution. Cost really isn't a factor, but making a smart purchase is.

I've been reading reviews and benchmarks that illustrate AMD cards have a significant advantage when it come to high res gaming due to their cards having more ROP's and subsequently better fill-rate.

The main reasons I have always chosen Nvidia is that I like cool and quiet components. I don't want to have a component that operates at 95 deg celsius even if it is certified to do so.

So I ask this- Is there really any great real world advantage of running AMD graphics over Nvidia for 4K gaming irrespective of price, Is it worth making the switch ?

My current motherboard supports 4-way SLI and only 2-way CorssfireX. I'm not sure how this will have an impact on things down the track, but I thought I should make mention of it.

Any feedback welcome.

Solution
Unless you get triple 780ti's or a radeon 295x2, you won't be 4k gaming anytime soon. Both dual R9 290Xs and dual 780tis cannot sustain the 60fps even in benchmarks, let alone when things go to hell in a game with everything blowing up on screen at once. The only card that has so far been shown to do this is the 295x2. And even then, you will be getting lowish end performance in 4k for those 60fps.

My advice for 4K gaming? Wait until it becomes the norm and affordable. Unless you have a lot of money and time to burn.

And radeons aren't broken. Don't listen to people that throw those standard lines out there. I have both brands cards in different PCs, and there are small issues with both depending on the game.

If you are happy with...

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
Mmm that's tempting lol, but alas my mobo only supports 2 cards in Crossfire, but 4 cards in SLI. Maybe I should just go with the 780ti 2-way and add more cards as they get cheaper.

Thanks again :)

Edit: lol I read that wrong, thought you meant 295x2 but three of them hah!

There is a x3 ?

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
I know aye, I'm personally waiting for the day where they can sandwich 10 cheap GPU's together and make a card that looks like a house brick that needs to be bolted onto your chassis so it doesn't snap off your PCIE slot. :)

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
those "thousands of people" actually are using radeonpro.

"http://www.radeonpro.info/download/" check the stats. nvidia managed to put adaptive vsync in their drivers, AMD wont. now if you've been living with screen tearing all your life and you're happy with it then good for you.

i'm giving actual consumer advise as the OP is looking for a pretty expensive setup. he's looking at 21:9 (ultra wide), and SCREEN EFFING TEARING WOULD BE EXTREMELY NOTICEABLE at that. and i haven't read any news of 21:9 monitors that will do gsync/freesync coming this year.