Question Malfunctioning RAM Slots

Aug 7, 2023
Hi Guys,

I recently bought a spare computer from someone to have as a spare. The computer itself ran perfectly fine and didnt seem to have any issues at all.

I have now noticed that it has 16GB of RAM installed with 8GB functioning.

Both of the RAM sticks seem to be completely identical and bought in a set. Both of the RAM sticks work individually in slot 3.

I am using a X79 - UD3 motherboard. The recommendation is to run the RAM in slot 1 for single channel, which I have tried and also the recommended layout for dual channel.

Interestingly when the RAM is installed into slot 1 & 3 the computer boots and bios lists 16GB of RAM while system information continues to list 8GB. When placed in slots 3 & 2 or 4 the computer will not boot. When the RAM is placed in any other arrangement aside from just one in slot 3 or slot 3 and 1 the computer will not boot properly.

In this situation am I best looking to replace just the motherboard and expect that to be the source of the issue or should I look at motherboard & CPU replacement?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

- I have also initially considered this to be unrelated but the GPU fans seem to be out of control.. one either full speed or at 0. Seem to only be able to view on fans and cant find a way to control or alter them in BIOS or MSI. Maybe this requires a BIOS update?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

TRENDING THREADS