Malicious iPhone Virus Takes Control of Your Phone

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

necronic

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]pale paladin[/nom]This cannot be. Apple products are impervious to any malware. My hairy white ass they are. lol[/citation]

How is this an apple product? They are talking about jailbroken iPhones only.

necronic

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Gonna dp, sorry. I'm one of the first ones up to state that when Apple's market share increases you will see an influx of malware, but this isn't that story. Jailbreaking specifically removes security measures on the phone to keep unauthorized programs from running on it.

Blaming this on apple is like removing your breaks and blaming the car company when you get in a wreck.

greenbuck

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
This is so funny. Apple keeps touting Windows as buggy and virus prone. Then something like this happens to their products. If they could just be positive and stop bashing and pointing out the competitors flaws, this would not have been a big deal as every product has their faults. But No, Apple has to act all superior as if their products do not have problems. This is why I dislike Apple and the MAC lovers. They could not be positive without attacking the other side.

ano

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Scotteq[/nom]Clearly, a fabricated and patently false story created by Microsoft fanbois to discredit the Great and Good name of Apple Computers Inc in a vain scheme to prevent the iminent collapse of WinDoze. After all, it is common knowledge that viruses and malware are solely the providence of Win~Blows and (deservedly!!) exist to show the Microserfs what a piece of garbage their so called "choice" of an operating system really is. All Hail Steve Jobs![/citation]

exactly what are you talking about?! a conspiracy theory?! good for you fanboy :D

btw, you have some serious problems with spelling! or maybe you are trying to be funny...?! ;)

necronic

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Yet again, if I understand Jailbreaking, this really has nothing to do with Apple or the quality of their product. Jailbreaking specifically bypass security measures that would specifically stop this from happening (like the running of unauthorized programs)

necronic

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
And frankly, its kind of pandering to not mention that in the headline, or first paragraph, and then to only mention it once in the article. There is a massive difference between a jailbroken phone and an apple product.

ubergeek

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
A better title for this article would be
"Malicious Virus Taking Control of Jailbroken iPhones"

I was trying to figure out how it took control of My iPhone. Especially since I don't even own one. ;o)

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
@People complaining about the title of the article

The title is misleading and misaligned with the article...how is that different than the other source of our news out there?

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
I will laugh hard if Norton or McAfee develops a antivirus software for the iPhone. I will laugh harder if someone actually buys and installs it.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]pbrigido[/nom]I will laugh hard if Norton or McAfee develops a antivirus software for the iPhone. I will laugh harder if someone actually buys and installs it.[/citation]

I'll laugh with you if either software comes pre-installed on an iPhone!

city_zen

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Scotteq[/nom]The funny part is you guys actually take that garbage seriously... Perhaps I didn't take it far enough?[/citation]

It was far enough, I can't believe someone took it seriously. However, you forgot to spell Microsoft as Micro$oft and mention how Windows is nothing but an inferior rip-off of Mac OS ;)

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
[citation][nom]mayne92[/nom]I'll laugh with you if either software comes pre-installed on an iPhone![/citation]

Bloat ware on an Apple product? I don't think my stomach can handle that much laughter.

necronic

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]mayne92[/nom]@People complaining about the title of the articleThe title is misleading and misaligned with the article...how is that different than the other source of our news out there?[/citation]

Fair enough, but I hold Tom's to a higher standard than other outlets. I'm generally PC all the way as I am a DIY junkie, but this site often panders to a pretty heavy anti-mac group here. Its one thing to make a fair argument about the pros and cons of one OS/Computer or another, but the frankly unintelligent arguments that show up following a weaker piece of reporting like this do nothing towards getting all of us better systems through decent analyses.

Instead, you see ad campaigns like Apple's which have very little factual information in them and simply cater towards emotional attachments to a product (or "lifestyle") or you see supposedly technically inclined people like those here not understanding the significant difference between an iPhone and a Jailbroken iPhone.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]necronic[/nom]Fair enough, but I hold Tom's to a higher standard than other outlets. I'm generally PC all the way as I am a DIY junkie, but this site often panders to a pretty heavy anti-mac group here. Its one thing to make a fair argument about the pros and cons of one OS/Computer or another, but the frankly unintelligent arguments that show up following a weaker piece of reporting like this do nothing towards getting all of us better systems through decent analyses.Instead, you see ad campaigns like Apple's which have very little factual information in them and simply cater towards emotional attachments to a product (or "lifestyle") or you see supposedly technically inclined people like those here not understanding the significant difference between an iPhone and a Jailbroken iPhone.[/citation]
True...I always expect a little more from my fav news sites. I like Tom's and Anand for my tech but all in all I have to go to many sites and read reader reviews because journalism is ALWAYS more skewed to one side (The love-hate of the writer)...plain and simple...

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
[citation][nom]necronic[/nom]How is this an apple product? They are talking about jailbroken iPhones only.[/citation]
This is really no different than people turning off UAC in Vesta or Windows 7 because they hate the warning pop-ups. When the PC finally gets infected, Microsoft is blamed.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander my friends.

necronic

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Only idiot's blame microsoft for infections when they turn UAC off. So if its the same there as here, only idiots blame Apple for infections when they turn off important security features.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]this will be in there next ad:want to hack into someones phone? there's an app for that.LOL[/citation]
Someone should make that ad and post it on YouTube. lol

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I hate apple and there "we're impervious to viruses" ways as much as the next person, but this isn't fair to them. its barely a virus as it only effects phones that have been JAIL BROKEN and not had a default password changed. this is one of the very reasons apple warns against doing it (even tho we know the real reason).

still apple, people wouldn't jailbreak if your control over the device wasn't so F$#%ED to begin with! so you deserve everything you get!

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Tip of the day. If you use a Jailbroken iphone, you'll expose yourself to risk. So is jailbreaking your iphone to score some pirated apps worth the chance of getting malware?

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]sunflier[/nom]Now, is this just another one of those "apps" I can buy?[/citation]

No, actually you don't buy this app. You first have to jailbreak your phone. You know, so you can just steal apps. Then you get this virus for free too!

People are just plain stupid sometimes. Apple won't give a shit about this because the phone isn't supposed to be "jailbroken" anyway. Normally I'd jump at the change to free myself from corporate bullshit, but you really need to pick your battles. Hell, almost every app you get is a dollar anyway. Maybe people shouldn't be so cheap and these things wouldn't happen to them.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]ubergeek[/nom]A better title for this article would be "Malicious Virus Taking Control of Jailbroken iPhones"I was trying to figure out how it took control of My iPhone. Especially since I don't even own one. ;o)[/citation]

And they should CAP JAILBROKEN for all the dumb people that think it affects all iPhones.

I used to get annoyed when people made fun of the iPhone or labeled me a "snob" for having one. Now, it just seems they're either uneducated or jealous. The people who just prefer other phones never participate in bashing because they have better shit to worry about, lol.

jdubsbooth

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Scotteq[/nom]Clearly, a fabricated and patently false story created by Microsoft fanbois to discredit the Great and Good name of Apple Computers Inc in a vain scheme to prevent the iminent collapse of WinDoze. After all, it is common knowledge that viruses and malware are solely the providence of Win~Blows and (deservedly!!) exist to show the Microserfs what a piece of garbage their so called "choice" of an operating system really is. All Hail Steve Jobs![/citation]

The rating for this post is proof that sarcasm is lost on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.