Man Bids $35,000 to Get Inside Bill Gates' House

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
[citation][nom]sunflier[/nom]Bill should sell (5) new Windows 7 retail boxes with a "Gold Ticket" inside.`Bill Gates and the Microsoft Factory.[/citation]
That's an amazing idea. I know they'd sell like hotcakes... wait, what do pancakes have to do with M$?

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Bill Gates gives more to U.S. education then all other U.S. companies combined. That said, does anybody find it a little confusing that a man worth $56 billion is dabbling with contributions in the 5 figure range?

chowmanga

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]Bill Gates gives more to U.S. education then all other U.S. companies combined. That said, does anybody find it a little confusing that a man worth $56 billion is dabbling with contributions in the 5 figure range?[/citation]

It wasn't his money, it was an employee's money. If Bill's already donating more for education than anyone else as you said, why ask him for more? I think Bill shows that even wealthy people are still human and can be humble.

G

not really. its not like he has $56B in cash or anything. its all tied up in equity.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
[citation][nom]soo-nah-mee[/nom]Bill Gates gives more to U.S. education then all other U.S. companies combined. That said, does anybody find it a little confusing that a man worth $56 billion is dabbling with contributions in the 5 figure range?[/citation]

I don't, as long as it is all going to charity it is a good thing. Doesn't look like Bill is pocketing it. Bill Gates is the only wealthy person I can think of who has a big heart. Most people with a lot of wealth you never ever hear about them trying to help anyone out besides their personal fat bank account. There's still a lot of argument these days from the rich "why do I have to help these people out when it was ME that got myself into this position in the first place" they need to realize that they have a tremendous more money in the bank than anyone on the planet would ever really need to have. Helping others out isn't a bad thing. The same rich people wonder why people who make 5 figures can't afford to help out the poor. I find that very hypocritical.

guess who

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
There are MANY rich philanthropists in the US. Gates is just the highest profile one. Buffet is just as generous.

What the US does have also an an abundance of self centered, egotistical, narcissistic superstars, both of the sports and movie/music variety.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]guess who[/nom]There are MANY rich philanthropists in the US. Gates is just the highest profile one. Buffet is just as generous.What the US does have also an an abundance of self centered, egotistical, narcissistic superstars, both of the sports and movie/music variety.[/citation]

I second that one, how many of these millionair football stars that unfortunate children look up to blow away millions and are left poor after a few years of retirement. Could at least see some of that money going to charitable organizations. That being said I know there are plenty of players that do but most don't.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]chowmanga[/nom]It wasn't his money, it was an employee's money. If Bill's already donating more for education than anyone else as you said, why ask him for more? I think Bill shows that even wealthy people are still human and can be humble.[/citation]

Also it's not like he got his riches scamming people like Madoff (which some morons would try to argue windows is scam). But seriosly he does donate a lot of time and money to a bunch of charities.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
[citation][nom]tester24[/nom]I second that one, how many of these millionair football stars that unfortunate children look up to blow away millions and are left poor after a few years of retirement. Could at least see some of that money going to charitable organizations. That being said I know there are plenty of players that do but most don't.[/citation]
So many of these millionaire athletes just don't have the cash to spare for charities... at least after dividing up all the child support payments.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]wildwell[/nom]So many of these millionaire athletes just don't have the cash to spare for charities... at least after dividing up all the child support payments.[/citation]

You're right

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Every time when I hear about this kind of news. I just can not help to think about those fat cats in the Wall Street. They can paid big when companies are earning money... and they still get paid big while companies are lving on Gov support (or Tax payer money!) while only very few of them (if any) have given back anything significant to the community!

I may not like MS's business practice or some of its product. But I definetly give a +++ plus to Mr Gate's contributation to the community, specially the Bill Gates Fundation!

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]guess who[/nom]There are MANY rich philanthropists in the US. Gates is just the highest profile one. Buffet is just as generous.What the US does have also an an abundance of self centered, egotistical, narcissistic superstars, both of the sports and movie/music variety.[/citation]

QFT

While Bill is high profile, I do like the fact that 'he' is never the one to point out how charitable he is... and it's not just education, the Gates foundation is involved with a whole host of projects, one of the most important being to stamp out malaria... did anyone else read how Bill released hundreds of mosquitos (clean with no disease) in to the air at a conference on medical aid for third world countries ... genius.

chowmanga

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Drag0nR1der[/nom]QFTWhile Bill is high profile, I do like the fact that 'he' is never the one to point out how charitable he is... and it's not just education, the Gates foundation is involved with a whole host of projects, one of the most important being to stamp out malaria... did anyone else read how Bill released hundreds of mosquitos (clean with no disease) in to the air at a conference on medical aid for third world countries ... genius.[/citation]

Yeah, he's a great guy. It takes a real man to step down from being the CEO of an empire he built in order to be a lower level worker doing what he really loves to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.