Question Many malfunctioning USB ports

aigram

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2012
Never experienced something like this with any build. I have a rig running a ROG STRIX Z370-I GAMING motherboard. All USB 2.0 ports on the motherboard backpanel, and one USB 3.0 port on the motherboard backpanel (located next to a USB-C port) have stopped properly functioning. Behavior when a device is connected can best be described as a low voltage condition. Peripherals like mice and keyboards have noticeably dim LED's, and a webcam fails to be recognized as OK in device manager; The webcam is not usable. All peripherals I have tested *only* function properly on two USB 3.0 ports on backpanel, and one USB 3.0 port connected to front panel header on the motherboard. I haven't a clue what's happened here. I have attached a screenshot that shows the location of the only functioning USB 3.0 ports on the motherboard; The lone chassis-mounted front panel USB 3.0 port is not pictured (of course). Looking for some help on how to proceed! I would think it's highly unlikely to have a hardware failure like this that leaves two ports unscathed.

View: https://imgur.com/a/CAju06N

USB 2.0 ports...have stopped properly functioning

include the complete system specs.

make sure you're on the latest BIOS.
if so, you can try re-flashing it to be sure it is functioning properly.

make sure your USB system drivers have not been corrupted or overwritten somehow.
download and install/reinstall the latest package from the ASUS support page.

aigram

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2012
include the complete system specs.

make sure you're on the latest BIOS.
if so, you can try re-flashing it to be sure it is functioning properly.

make sure your USB system drivers have not been corrupted or overwritten somehow.
download and install/reinstall the latest package from the ASUS support page.
DAN A4-SFX v2
i7 8700k
ROG Strix Z370-I Gaming
Corsair 16GB @ 3000
Samsung M.2 970 Evo
GTX 1070
Corsair SFX 550W
Bios version=3005 (latest)
There are no USB drivers available on Asus's support page for this motherboard, that I have found.

There are no USB drivers available on Asus's support page for this motherboard, that I have found.
may be available through Armoury Crate and it's 'Update Center'.

and sometimes it will be contained within another set of motherboard drivers.
just make sure you have downloaded and installed all of the latest available packages from the support page.

aigram

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2012
may be available through Armoury Crate and it's 'Update Center'.

and sometimes it will be contained within another set of motherboard drivers.
just make sure you have downloaded and installed all of the latest available packages from the support page.
Great, I'll double check for latest drivers. If that fails to address the issue, my next stop is to take all components out of the chassis and run the system in a cardboard box. But I'm definitely hoping that someone with a similar/identical Asus board can chime in here. If I'm indeed hunting down a specific older version (because all of these ports *did* work at one point) I sure would like to know which driver version I'm looking for!

aigram

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2012

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Check to make sure that the I/O plate doesn't have one of its "tension" brackets inside one of the USB ports on the rear panel. The small bit of metal that sort of pushes back against the motherboard. It is not uncommon to accidentally install and have that small piece go inside the USB ports or HDMI ports, etc.

If that is shorting it could explain this behavior.

Reactions: Ralston18

Ralston18

Titan
Indeed: do check the I/O panel. Inside and out.

= = = =

Regarding "I have not pinpointed a specific update."

Look for more than just updates.

Check Reliability History/Monitor and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, or even informational events involving USB.

Reliability History provides a time line format that may reveal some starting point or even some pattern of events. Simple and user friendly

Event Viewer will provide similar information. Just takes more time and effort to navigate and understand.,

How To - How to use Windows 10 Event Viewer | Tom's Hardware Forum (tomshardware.com)

Clicking individual errors in both tools will provide more details. The details may or may not prove helpful.

aigram

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2012
I/O panel seems fine, I looked in every USB port with a scope. I also connected/disconnect a device into all of them and felt no obstructions.

This is what I get in Reliability History after plugging a webcam into a known-problem port:
Source
Windows

Summary
Hardware error

Date
‎11/‎30/‎2023 12:41 PM

Status
Not reported

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 3000040
Parameter 1: 2
Parameter 2: ffff9702f6e27380
Parameter 3: 1b0
Parameter 4: 0
OS version: 10_0_22621
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
OS Version: 10.0.22621.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033

aigram

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2012
This absolutely sucks.
If I just take my Corsair LED backlit keyboard and move it around between all of the known-problem USB ports, I can see that the LED's are noticeably dim compared to when the keyboard is connected to the known-good USB ports (there are 2 properly working ports out of the 8 on the motherboard).

aigram

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2012
The device I am primarily using to test is a Razer Kiyo webcam. I have verified that it is a USB2.0 device. What's wild is if I connect this device to any of the USB 2.0 ports on the back of the motherboard and do nothing else, Device Manager properly registers the device and reports device status as working properly. Device correctly gets nested under Cameras. If I do anything at all that turns on the camera itself (MS Teams meeting, Razer Synapse configuration, etc.) Windows immediately loses the device, Synapse stops seeing it, and the device manager tree refreshes. Similar behavior with a external HDD.